Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FAQ: Bettys sketch book / Radios and rising waters  (Read 14956 times)

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
FAQ: Bettys sketch book / Radios and rising waters
« on: March 02, 2010, 04:07:18 AM »

I've just read the "Bettys sketch book" page and it's comments.
Appearantly AE talks about rising water etc. Maybe I'm confused. Does it not sound that they crash landed on the ocean and the plane slowly started to sink? Or was it the incoming tide?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:42:59 PM by J. Nevill »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Bettys sketch book
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 06:04:33 AM »

The plane's radio could not transmit if the plane was floating in the ocean, so if the radio calls were made at all the plane had to be on land but threatened by rising water. That describes perfectly the situation other evidence suggests - that the plane was landed on the dry reef at Gardner Island (now Nikumaroro). The rising water mentioned in Betty's Notebook probably refers to a rising tide.

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 06:11:00 AM »

Thanks Ric
That's what I thought but it's clear now.
I wish you and your team succes with the upcoming trip to Niki!
andy

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 06:41:50 AM »

Have you been able to match the timing of Betty's transcript telling of rising water with your recreated tide tables?

T

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »

Of course, we don't know for sure which day Betty heard AE but everything seems to fit best on Monday, July 5th  - and yes, the tide was coming in during the broadcast on that day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org