Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noonan's octant  (Read 13649 times)

Dave Patterson

• T1
Noonan's octant
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »

If Fredd's octant was dropped, in flight let's say, what would be an expected error that it would be off without him knowing it until it's too late & what part would be most likely damaged ?

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
Re: Noonan's octant
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »

I would say ... impossible to know the answers to any of that. To quote Afred E. Newman, "What, me worry?"

LTM, who trys not to worry near the end of the day,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 CER
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Dave Patterson

• T1
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »

So, Nobody has ever dropped one of these, or all the guys that dropped them are dead.

Jeff Carter

• T2
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:56:13 PM »

So, Nobody has ever dropped one of these, or all the guys that dropped them are dead.

I think there was something about correcting misaligned octant/sextant readings in the old navigation books on LaPook's website ( https://sites.google.com/site/fredienoonan/home ) -- I searched but was not able to find it at the moment.  Maybe someone else can find it.

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:59:33 AM »

Here's the simple way to verify a dropped Octant is still working: set to zero and look at a star or the horizon.  If the mirror is misaligned it will be obvious and can be corrected in most cases.  This isn't to say that a navigator can fix a bent octant, but at least it's possible to know that it isn't working right.
My old celestial text book (Crawford, 1972) devotes half a chapter to testing for such problems, and methods to adjust it back to normal, without needing any special equipment.  It seems certain to me that Noonan would be familiar with the methods.
Cheers,
JohnO

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org