Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glenn Miller  (Read 13627 times)

Andreas Badertscher

• T1
Glenn Miller
« on: February 25, 2010, 02:20:45 PM »

Ever thought about to solve the other great mistery of Glenn Miller's dissapearance over the english channel?

Tim Collins

• T4
Re: Glenn Miller
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:15:16 AM »

PBS ran a show called "Glenn Miller's last flight" that pretty much cleared that one up for many. - that his plane, after following a course into a restricted dump zone, was downed by a bomber dumping its load while on return from an aborted/failed bombing run.  They did conduct a diving search but didn't come up with anything really viable. My impression was that a much more thorough and focused search would need to be conducted to find and distinguish real evidence from basically shrapnel. I suppose there's also quite alot of live ordinance still there too!   Any takers?

Great show by the way, well worth seeking out.

T

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »

I am NOT an underwater search expert by any means, but as a diver, mucking about on the seafloor of that part of the Channel, which is probably crammed full of all manner of WW 2 and WW 1 trash, including lots of still potentially live ammo, and in that lousy visibility and the awful water temps ... the odds of finding anything relater to Miller are just slightly to the far side of awful. Lots of aircraft besides that Norseman bellied in around there, and lots of aircraft dropped ordnance there, not to mention ships getting sunk, mines both aerial and ship/sub launched, etc., etc. ... TIGHAR has a much better chance of finding where a certain Electra ended up, simply because there aren't as many likely suspects in a given area.
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Cameron Scott

• T1
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »

I have seen pictures of B-17's and Lancasters with large portions missing from a bomb hitting them during flight (and not exploding). I can't imagine the damage that would have been caused to Miller's plane even if they failed to detonate. Outside of the dangers and problems with searching that part of the ocean, I am sure there would be tons of interesting finds.

Richard Lyon Metzger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:51:25 PM »

There is too much information that has been hidden regarding the so called "Glenn Miller" plane crash. Most of the information now indicates that he was not on that flight but on a previous flight and died in Paris. They found the plane in the channel but it had no bodies and was missing its propeller. The mystery continues until they find the smoking gun.......

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:31:50 PM »

Ummm ... interesting theory, Richard. Who would "they" be?
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Richard Lyon Metzger

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:45:19 PM »

Just like AE, Glenn Miller fate has its mysteries.
Wilbur Wright brings up strong evidence (and lack of) in his book "Millergate" regarding
the events of three plane flights that involve Glenn Miller and his death.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org