Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Saturn V rocket engines recovered from seabed  (Read 23868 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Saturn V rocket engines recovered from seabed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:44:54 AM »

Let's have some discussion about this.  Was it historically important to recover these engines?  They were not lost.  NASA knew where they were.  They were judged at the time to be disposable.  What is achieved by recovering them? What motivated their recovery?  Without fairly elaborate and expensive conservation measures they will now probably corrode away.  Does it matter?

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »

Maybe I'm showing my age, but artifacts from the space program are pretty exciting to me.  The F-1 engines are still an amazing accomplishment.  There are some aspects of the early space program that we might not be able to duplicate today, so examples from the era are unique and valuable, at least to some people how appreciate the accomplishment.  The technology of teh early space program was what got me interested in Aerospace Engineering, and led me to find a job developing and testing rocket motors - nothing as large as an F-1, but I'm proud to have had a hand in building hardware that now sits on Mars.
A slightly older generation might feel the same way about aircraft.  Lockheed made some impressive machines, as I recall reading somewhere, and some old-timers think they're worth dredging up from the sea floor.
What will the next generation think is valuable enough to recover?  An original smart phone?
Cheers,
JohnO

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »

Lockheed made some impressive machines, as I recall reading somewhere, and some old-timers think they're worth dredging up from the sea floor.

Those old-timers, whoever they are, should join TIGHAR.

Here's a question:
If Lambrecht had spotted AE waving from the beach and Itasca had come and rescued her and Fred (assuming he was still alive) would it now be worth spending millions to try to find some remnant of the airplane in the water?  It would be a relic of Amelia's failed attempt to fly around the world but it wouldn't solve an epic mystery.

A thing is worth what someone will pay for it.  The millions it undoubtedly took to find and recover those beat-up rocket engines was apparently worth it to Jeff Bezos but I've never heard of anyone else caring about them.  It will be interesting to see what becomes of them now.  NASA owns them but NASA is not going to spend money to conserve them. They'll probably end up on a Cape Canaveral scrap heap along with other relics of the Apollo program.  In the end, what was accomplished?  A splash of publicity for Jeff Bezos and Amazon?

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »

I agree Ric.....who cares!  It's just NASA's garbage they threw out.  And there a lot of it down there.  However, there is something that interests me........."The Bezos team sent remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) to a depth of 14,000 feet to photograph and eventually lift the engine components, working in an environment he likened to the moon's surface."   
Maybe there is something that can be learned, or of use, on the next trip to Nicku.  By shipwreck standards, those engines were not large pieces.   
TIGHAR Member #4154

Dave McDaniel

• T2
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »

I agree with Dan. The recovery of the engines was likely not the the point of the mission, but rather a benefit of it. I'm inclined to believe it (the mission) was more of a proof-of-concept of a new technology, procedure or technique. Even if the boosters were from the Apollo 11 mission it would be in my opinion, be like recovering Paul Revere's horse. I do however, think Paul's horse got a raw deal in the history books!
Dave
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:50:36 PM by Dave McDaniel »

Don Dollinger

• T3
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »

It will be interesting to see what becomes of them now.  NASA owns them but NASA is not going to spend money to conserve them. They'll probably end up on a Cape Canaveral scrap heap along with other relics of the Apollo program. 

This news piece http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/03/20/2-apollo-era-engines-pulled-from-depths-atlantic-by-amazon-ceo-expedition/ say that this is what they plan on doing with them:

Bezos plans to restore the engine parts, which included a nozzle, turbine, thrust chamber and heat exchanger. Amazon.com Inc. spokesman Drew Herdener declined Wednesday to reveal the cost of the recovery or restoration.

NASA has previously said an engine would head for the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum. If a second was recovered, it would be displayed at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, where Amazon.com is based.

LTM,

Don

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »

Bezos plans to restore the engine parts, which included a nozzle, turbine, thrust chamber and heat exchanger. Amazon.com Inc. spokesman Drew Herdener declined Wednesday to reveal the cost of the recovery or restoration.

Restore the engine parts???  The damage they suffered is part of their history.  You can't Bondo a nozzle or bang the dents out of thrust chamber.  Restore, in this context, means replace. So will we treated to pristine-looking rocket engine parts and be told that these once flew on an Apollo mission? The whole thing just sounds dumber and dumber.

James G. Stoveken

• T2
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:54:33 PM »

From TIGHAR's Mission Statement...
The foundation devotes its resources to the saving of endangered historic aircraft wherever they may be found, and to the education of the international public in the need to preserve the relics of the history of flight. (italics mine)

Ric, As such, would it be out of line for you to reach out to Mr. Bezos in an effort to keep him from doing a dumb thing?
Jim Stoveken

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 11:47:35 PM »

The fascination with really powerful engines seems to be universal.  No engine made by man has been more powerful than the F-1, and only about 70 were ever made.  Only 2 or 3 survive, none in running condition.  Those are the conditions that drive enthusiasts nuts when they have the opportunity to get their hands on one.  The company I work for, like Rocketdyne, got rid of their design notes from the days when they built those engines.  The designers are all dead.  As a result, now-days, we have to reverse-engineer the engines from back then, and it's often an eye-opener to the "young" engineers what was accomplished back then.  This article describes the test firing of the Gas Generator (in my industry simply called a "GG"):

<snip>...The most notable aspect of these firings is the sheer power when the gas generator creates roughly 31,000 pounds (14,000 kilograms) of force. When the original F-1 lit up, the gas generator powered the enormous turbomachinery that pumped almost three tons of propellant each second into the thrust chamber and accelerated through the nozzle, creating an incredible 1.5 million pounds (680,000 kg) of thrust.

Modern instruments, testing and analysis improvements learned over [the past] 40 years, and digital scanning and imagery techniques are allowing us to obtain baseline data on performance and combustion stability," said Nick Case, an engineer from Marshall's propulsion systems department. "We are even gathering data not collected when the engine was tested originally in the 1960s." <end snip>
source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/nasa-engine-test-parts-saturn-v-rocket-moon_n_2534361.html

The engines designed and built by the company I work for are still amazing to me, although that feeling isn't shared by the current management.  I feel honored to have been mentored by the Engineers who built them.  The current version of the company doesn't have the talent or ability to recreate those engine designs, so the skill is dying off and may never reappear.  Recovering an example of a lost art from the seafloor seems like an important thing to me.  Restoring it to original condition is also important when there are few original examples to be found.

It's part of our technical heritage.  I would think that the value of preserving historical heritage would be obvious to TIGHAR members.  It's a passion very similar to TIGHAR's interest in finding what happened to Amelia.
Cheers,
JohnO

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »

Again I agree with Ric.  Restoring them is a waste of time.  Leave them just as they are.  That's how they were meant to be.  However, I am still intrigued by the fact that they found them and how........
"the Bezos team used sonar to spot the sunken engines resting nearly 3 miles deep....."
There may be some useful technology for Tighar's deep search. 

TIGHAR Member #4154

Lauren Palmer

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 06:58:42 AM »

Ah, I did enoy Cussler's search and finding of the Hunley - no tax dollars involved in the search, and a mystery solved!  He hunts ships and we deal with airplanes, strictly on a donor basis.
Ex:  There are only so many taxpayers available, and so many tax-funded projects already that are unconstitutional.  I personally love TIGHAR's and Cussler's work, as well as good painting - but I am mad as Hades that my tax money goes to "art" which offends me or that I cannot afford to go see in the first place...........  Why should anyone have to pay for museums to house what they don't like?
Again, I like TIGHAR's work, and will send more money as soon as I'm able (after tax day!).  Whatever someone wants to do/buy, if they want to pay for it themselves, go for it!  Just don't grab my tax money down the road to help out somehow, as usually happens...... :-*

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 07:00:02 AM »

... I do however, think Paul's horse got a raw deal in the history books!
Dave

You just don't read the right books: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Revere-Account-Episodes-Revealed/dp/0316517291/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363956048&sr=8-1&keywords=paul+revere%27s+horse

Didn't Nasa recently fire up one of those engines that had been in storage, with the idea of recreating them with modern technology/materials for the current or future space program? 

Dan Swift

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 07:00:28 AM »

Well said Lauren! 
TIGHAR Member #4154

John Ousterhout

• T4
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »

"So some people are against preserving the heritage of the space race?"

I'd say "yes", especially if it uses tax dollars against their wishes.
The test firing that Tim mentioned was just of the Gas Generator section of the engine, not the whole engine, and yes it was to learn about how things were done in the 1960's so the lessons can be applied to today.
Cheers,
JohnO

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org