Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MysteryQuest Landing Gear and Bevington Photo  (Read 127817 times)

John Wallace

• T1
Inverted landing gear on crashed electra
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »

Inverted, intact landing gear from electra c/n 1005, CF-HTV, which crashed July 1972 (without injuries) near Birch Lake, NWT, Canada. Not as detailed as some other pics in topic but interesting perspective.

(Cropped screen capture @ 33 min, 26 sec from Ice Pilots NWT, season 4 episode 12 wherein wreckage located and tail fin recovered.)

John Ousterhout

• T4
Re: MysteryQuest Landing Gear and Bevington Photo
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »

John Wallace's posted picture would bear a stronger resemblance to the Bevington Object if the tire were intact.  It occurs to me that a landing gear with worm and sector drive would need to be in the "down" or "landing" configuration to be visible this way.  If it were in the "raised" or "flight" configuration, the fork and tire would remain within the nacelle unless some force overwhelmed the drive system.
What this implies to me is that if the B.O. were a landing gear, then the aircraft it belonged to had its gear down, implying a landing on solid ground was attempted.  If the gear were up, then a water ditching would be implied.  If the B.O. were a cement mixer, then I don't know if it was in landing or flight configuration.
Cheers,
JohnO

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Inverted landing gear on crashed electra
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »

Inverted, intact landing gear from electra c/n 1005, CF-HTV, which crashed July 1972 (without injuries) near Birch Lake, NWT, Canada. Not as detailed as some other pics in topic but interesting perspective.

C/n 1005 burned.  The center section was consumed by the fire but, although the tire burned, the fire in that location was not hot enough to melt the aluminum.
I find it interesting that the fork in the photos of the 1972 crash is still shiny whereas the fork in 1936 Idaho crash is rusty - suggesting that it takes quite a while for the fork to lose it's shine.  What appears to be the fork in the Bevington Object is shiny - as it should be after only three months.

C.W. Herndon

• T5
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2013, 04:17:49 AM »

Three photos from Woody:

Thanks for posting them Marty.
Woody (former 3316R)
"the watcher"

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2013, 05:05:13 AM »

Thanks for posting them, Marty.

You're welcome.

It was probably the high-resolution on the color photo that did you in, although I changed the filenames on the black-and-white photos, too.  The hash tag (#) is a linux wild-card, I believe.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2013, 07:58:08 AM »

Jeff,

an argument against the BO being the tyre/wheel pointing skywards has been how would it get hooked up in the reef.  Why not as part of the submerged wing as the wreck in mangled and hanging off the reef edge, ready to plummet down as Richies anomoly or Tims 'Coral Garden'.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
Re: Inverted landing gear on crashed electra
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2013, 08:02:19 AM »

we could have a case where crashing surf rendered the airframe into scrap with a fairly good sized chunk somehow anchored in a groove on the reef, maybe near the drop off.

As you've noted, what we think we know about that location suggests that there wasn't enough water there to hide a good sized chunk of the airframe beneath the Bevington Object - but we must always recognize the possibility that we could be wrong.

In Idaho I was impressed by how HEAVY those landing gear components are.  From Lockheed documents we've now calculated the weight of the stuff we think we see in Bevington Object and it tips the scales at something over 250 lbs.   I'm re-thinking the need for this piece of wreckage to be hung up in a groove.  In the absence of a major weather event (unlikely at Niku between July and October) I can easily see a 250 lb. object remaining in place on the reef for three months.  The simpler the sequence of events required, the stronger the hypothesis.
1. Airplane lands on reef and sends distress calls for the next three, possibly as many as six, nights.
2. Rising tides and surf move the plane enough to cause the gear to fail much as it did in the Luke Field accident.
3. As the plane is pushed along the reef surface on its belly by wave action, one of the main gear assemblies separates from the airframe just as it did at Luke Field.
4. The plane goes over the reef edge, is beaten apart in the surf, and sinks out of sight.
5. The wreckage of the separated landing gear remains on the reef at least until October when it is inadvertently photographed by Bevington.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »

In regards to the Aerial photos  in was noted “ the problem with jpeg images is that the process of converting them from the original format to jpeg greatly reduces the amount of information in the image and introduces distortions and "artifacts" that aren't really there.  In other words, to present the images in a format everyone can read we have to significantly degrade their quality. No way around it"

Can Jeff’s best image of the Bevington photo, in the best file type, be made available to study, perhaps included on a disk with the digitized Engineering drawings when they are ready? 

3971R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:21 PM »

Can Jeff’s best image of the Bevington photo, in the best file type, be made available to study, perhaps included on a disk with the digitized Engineering drawings when they are ready?

I can do that but it's the same situation as the with 1938 photos.  Jeff's best image is in raw (NEF) format which can be converted to 16 bit TIFF but you have to have the right hardware and software.

Ted G Campbell

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »

Ric,
Go ahead and release the TIF image.  Some of us can get it others can't.
Ted Campbell

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »

Okay, the 16bit TIF is 4.7MB.  That's too big to post on the Forum but I can attach it to an email if your system will accept an attachment that big. Just send me an email (Ric@tighar.org) to reply to.

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2013, 02:23:47 PM »

Post it on TIGHAR's  Flikr stream?

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2013, 05:30:39 PM »

Post it on TIGHAR's  Flikr stream?

I'm not sure that would work.  The system I suggested seems to be working.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »

Got it fine thru E-mail.
Thank you Ric,
3971R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2013, 10:37:20 AM »

Interesting that the engineering drawing of a main landing gear shows two struts holding the worm tight to the sextor gear.
I suspect if the plane is found, some people will say the plane ditched, wheels up, and floated there (and someone already has). But if found intact with the worm is it's landing position that could prove a wheels down landing.
3971R

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org