Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are the bones found on Niku?  (Read 51417 times)

Lisa Grinnell

• T1
Re: Where are the bones found on Niku?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »

What a useful article, innacuracies and all. May someone come forward as a result.

I was just thinking about this topic a few days ago as I poured through an archived TIGHAR article about the bones and measurements (Ameliapedia? The links mush together after awhile!) I wondered are there any x-rays of Amelia anywhere, and if the measurements of those bones could be compared with these measurements? It seems that x-rays would have been used more or less commonly in the 1930s, according to Wikipedia, although I don't yet know how to create a link, so won't cite it here.

I don't remember seeing the part about the drilled hole in the sinus area in the TIGHAR articles. Is this one of the inaccuracies? How did that information become correlated with notations about the bones discovered on Niku?

This process is addictive. Gotta say, when I read the Tracks article a few nights ago with photos and descriptions of shoe parts discovered 1991-92...that, to me, is the most definitive evidence yet.

Getting back to bones and remains, I wrote a private message to Ric about detector dogs some weeks ago and didn't hear back. He probably gets so many wild and impractical ideas thrown his way. Sniffer dogs can detect parts-per-trillion, can detect a tiny drop of blood after it's been scrubbed away. I half-imagine having a dog sniff to find any other bones near where those suspected to be Amelia's were found on the island. As I recall, we don't know yet what happened to Fred? Then I realized how difficult it would be to transport such a dog to the island under conditions where it is difficult and expensive to transport, feed, and water humans doing research. Well, perhaps this will stimulate a more practical idea from someone else...

Lisa

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »

Getting back to bones and remains, I wrote a private message to Ric about detector dogs some weeks ago and didn't hear back. He probably gets so many wild and impractical ideas thrown his way. Sniffer dogs can detect parts-per-trillion, can detect a tiny drop of blood after it's been scrubbed away. I half-imagine having a dog sniff to find any other bones near where those suspected to be Amelia's were found on the island. As I recall, we don't know yet what happened to Fred? Then I realized how difficult it would be to transport such a dog to the island under conditions where it is difficult and expensive to transport, feed, and water humans doing research. Well, perhaps this will stimulate a more practical idea from someone else...

Lisa

Lisa, there've been a couple of other recent suggestions about using cadaver dogs, one about 3 months ago. Ric has responded to that idea in the past, and here's one such response last year where his thoughts track with your realization of the many inherent perils.

But keep on reading, and imagining, and suggesting!
LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 05:49:41 PM »

... I don't yet know how to create a link, so won't cite it here.

How to insert links into articles.

I don't remember seeing the part about the drilled hole in the sinus area in the TIGHAR articles.

Look for "Caldwell-Luc" in this old forum archive.

Is this one of the inaccuracies?

Yes.  No one who saw the bones reported evidence of a Caldwell-Luc procedure.

How did that information become correlated with notations about the bones discovered on Niku?

"Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by ignorance."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Lisa Grinnell

• T1
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 10:56:22 PM »

Thanks, Bruce and Marty.

Love the "Never attribute to malice..." quote.

Lisa

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 06:01:43 AM »

Love the "Never attribute to malice..." quote.

It's called "Hanlon's Razor."
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »

Does this give us renewed hope for DNA if/when any bones are found?

Oldest DNA from bones extracted
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org