Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dive 14  (Read 68008 times)

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
Re: Dive 14
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »

Or Not, depending on your bodies natural ability to heal itself and how you treated the wound!

Quick story.  On the first day ashore on the 2007 expedition I tripped while walking on the reef, fell forward, and landed on the palms of my hands (rather than do a face-plant).  I plowed deep furrows in the palms of both hands. Not pretty. Fortunately we had a physician and lots of antibiotics on hand.  I like to think that I have a robust immune system but even with expert medical care involving both topical and oral antibiotics we were only just barely able to keep the infection under control. I was picking coral shrapnel out of my hands for the next two years.
For a castaway before the era of antibiotics, I think a significant coral scrape could easily be a death sentence.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »

Or Not, depending on your bodies natural ability to heal itself and how you treated the wound!

Quick story.  On the first day ashore on the 2007 expedition I tripped while walking on the reef, fell forward, and landed on the palms of my hands (rather than do a face-plant).  I plowed deep furrows in the palms of both hands. Not pretty. Fortunately we had a physician and lots of antibiotics on hand.  I like to think that I have a robust immune system but even with expert medical care involving both topical and oral antibiotics we were only just barely able to keep the infection under control. I was picking coral shrapnel out of my hands for the next two years.
For a castaway before the era of antibiotics, I think a significant coral scrape could easily be a death sentence.

I can agree with you in part Ric, but I wonder what the mortality rate of the PISS settlers was due to coral scrapings.  Maybe they had a medicine man who had some good Juju.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 10:39:25 AM »

I can agree with you in part Ric, but I wonder what the mortality rate of the PISS settlers was due to coral scrapings.  Maybe they had a medicine man who had some good Juju.

Good question.  I suspect that part of it was that they didn't wear shoes and so, for the most part, they didn't go out on the reef. 

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »

Good question.  I suspect that part of it was that they didn't wear shoes and so, for the most part, they didn't go out on the reef.

More to the point Ric, would you walk anywhere on Niku without your shoes on?  I would guess that their feet were so calloused that they were impervious to the sharpness of the coral no matter where they walked.  Didn't they have to go out on the reef to fish?
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »

More to the point Ric, would you walk anywhere on Niku without your shoes on?

No.

I would guess that their feet were so calloused that they were impervious to the sharpness of the coral no matter where they walked. 

Assuming that the Kiribati reps who accompany us are typical of what the colonists were like, their feet are calloused enough to walk around most - but not all - of the island barefoot.  Some of the inshore parts of the reef north of Norwich City are like walking on rows of razor blades. 

Didn't they have to go out on the reef to fish?

They certainly did fish from canoes.  Whether they went out on the reef to fish along the edge at low tide is not clear.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »

Hi All

Ric what depth on the sonar image are the ledges  in the following image , White line pointing to ledge  i mean

Blue line in rotated image ? 
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:48:02 PM by richie conroy »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »

Hi All

The reason i ask is because i came across this coral shaped object on right side of sonar image, Object on first ledge an it really does look like the outline of a certain airplane, I think so anyway  ::)   
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »

Ric what depth on the sonar image are the ledges  in the following image , White line pointing to ledge  i mean

That's down really deep near where we rescued the AUV when it got stuck in the cave - probably about 2,500 feet.  Bad neighborhood.

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 05:12:01 AM »

Richie----maybe you are getting somewhere. Seems that 2500 feet is getting close to the bottom?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 06:04:55 AM »

F-22 Raptor?  ;)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 08:21:17 AM »

Richie----maybe you are getting somewhere. Seems that 2500 feet is getting close to the bottom?

Not even close.  The bottom is at about 6,000 meters.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »

This horse is dead and will not benefit from further flogging.  This and other topics discussing whether various shapes in the underwater video are or are not encrusted objects of interest have run their course.  Both sides have had more than adequate opportunity to state their case and flogging the subject further will not change anyone's mind.  We'll give the horse a decent burial by locking "Summary of Debris from 2010," "2010 Black and White Video of the Debris Field," and "Possible Rope video."  I'll leave "Underwater Airplane Parts" open but only as a discussion of what known underwater airplane parts look like in contexts other than Nikumaroro.  I'll remove new topics that attempt to revive discussions of objects seen in 2010 and 2012 underwater video unless and until Jeff Glickman advises me that he has found something worth discussing.

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »

This topic has been re-opened.  Enjoy.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:31 AM »

In studying "dive 14" I thought I saw a watch and fob or wrist band at about 10.20. Did anyone else see it or has this topic lost interest??
Bob S.

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2015, 11:07:06 AM »

Richie, thanks for the re inforcement on the watch at 10:20! I still believe its a watch not a  creature. If its an anemone  or urchin as others have said I'll eat it! I may be a little slow to catch up but nobody has seen it YET, in person, so go get it. Also the fob orwrist band for it  may be earlier I'll get the location and post later. Happy hunting. You guys are amazing (yes, that is my real name and has been for many many years)
Bob S.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org