Advanced search  

Poll

In Reply #24 to the "Summary of Debris" thread, there is a scale for the picture of the scallop shell.

2 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 5 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 8 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
13 centimeters
- 1 (6.3%)
18 centimeters
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video  (Read 422589 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video
« Reply #345 on: January 09, 2013, 07:34:46 AM »

And now, TOILET PAPER???  Gee whiz, even the old Soviet Union TP would dissolve down there after a month or so, roll, wrapper and all...  :P

Yes, Jeff, toilet paper (encased in celophane or the like); I've outlined a roll for you.

All of a sudden we all seem to be experts in underwater chemistry, 985 below sea level, near 12 decrees centigrade, 452 psi pressure. Are you sure you are not making a conclusion lacking the specific scientific knowledge?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:35:59 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #346 on: January 09, 2013, 07:44:18 AM »

I am quite sure I'm making a sound judgment based on direct observation

Well, that makes two of us.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #347 on: January 09, 2013, 11:08:31 AM »

. . . I cannot say it's not amusing to watch someone have $1.2M worth of fun!!!

I can say that: it's not amusing at all.  Of course all our mileages may vary.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #348 on: January 09, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »

unless of course "skid sheets" in those days were hermetically sealed in non biodegradable plastic.  Oh, and BTW Tim, "cellophane" is 100% biodegradable.

As you must know, Bob, cellophane is both waterproof and impermeable to microorganisms. Biodegradation, of course, requires the presence of microorganisms (see definition below), and probably some amount of oxygen. Both of these may be insufficient at 985 feet to do such rapid damage to cellophane. BTW, it appears to me that many of the "cellophane" packs have been heat-sealed. You may not be able to see such fine details unless you are able to take advantage of the 960x540 high definition version of the video.

Of course, maybe these bags were made of something even more durable that cellophane. We really don't know, do we?

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:00:16 PM by Tim Mellon »

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #349 on: January 09, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »

Well Mr Mellon, after reading the last few pages of absolutely hysterical posts  ;D , I am more than ever than ever convinced that you like some others are quite doubtful of the reef theory and the aircraft parts and have simply been having a lot of fun with the many shapes that coral can assume. So it is good to see some fun and sense injected into these discussions. Toilet rolls, banjos etc. - all just show how simple it is to see shapes in coral lumps. :)   

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #350 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »

you like some others are quite doubtful of the reef theory and the aircraft parts

Practically all the aircraft parts are at Phoenix Site #1, IMHO.

So it is good to see some fun and sense injected into these discussions.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, Mr. Kelly.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:02:12 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #351 on: January 09, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »

Nonetheless, Bob, the bags are still there. BTW, the last time I looked, coral was not highly mobile.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:45:09 PM by Tim Mellon »

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #352 on: January 09, 2013, 07:30:55 PM »

I've removed a couple of posts that lacked civility. 

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #353 on: January 09, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »

Nonetheless, Bob, the bags are still there. BTW, the last time I looked, coral was not highly mobile.

Nice lump of pink rock Mr Mellon - cellophane bags? Had a real good chuckle at that.  ;D

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2013, 08:36:01 PM »

I'm not going to argue about what is and isn't uncivil.  No one is privileged.  If you guys can't disagree without insulting each other I'll simply lock the topic.

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2013, 11:04:56 PM »

I'm not going to argue about what is and isn't uncivil.  No one is privileged.  If you guys can't disagree without insulting each other I'll simply lock the topic.

Mr Gillespie I am very much concerned that what seems to have been a reasonably intelligent place for discussion of the Earhart mystery has over the last few months become dominated by various long threads in which there seems to be no content except some people competing to tell us what strange objects they can see in the coral lumps. In the past there were people contributing to this forum with clear expertise in a number of fields like navigation, flying, radio propagation, archaeology and a range of things. Now many of these people seem to have deserted the forum and everything is now dominated by these strange claims about there being imaginary toilet rolls, preserved bodies, bits of aeroplanes, banjos etc. Is this what this forum should be? - a place for nonsense. My view is that it should be a place where people like those who now no longer participate can discuss the evidence and comment while offering real insights based on their training and experience rather than bizarre guesses offered by people who seem to have lost touch with reality.

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2013, 01:26:40 AM »

OK in the 30's DID they wrap toulet roles in cellophane or paper wrappings?

As a young boy in the 70's in the UK I remember most 'loo' roles being packaged in paper/grease paper.  Only later did they come wrapped in plastic type film.

Beer Can - Is it empty or full?

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2013, 04:58:37 AM »

Chris, there appear to me to be 3 rolls packed together along with some other smaller items in one cellophane supply pack.

Likewise, the beer can is not alone but packed with one or more like items in another package, so I reason the can is still full. The ale may be flat by now, though....

:)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:19:31 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2013, 06:12:58 AM »

My view is that it should be a place where people like those who now no longer participate can discuss the evidence and comment while offering real insights based on their training and experience rather than bizarre guesses offered by people who seem to have lost touch with reality.

Please start a new thread, Mr. Kelly. Please offer us some real insights. Those of us who are trying to establish evidence of an Electra sinking off the shores of Nikumaroro can labor on in parallel. Your insights might very well help us in our efforts.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2013, 08:19:07 AM »

Mr Gillespie I am very much concerned that what seems to have been a reasonably intelligent place for discussion of the Earhart mystery has over the last few months become dominated by various long threads in which there seems to be no content except some people competing to tell us what strange objects they can see in the coral lumps.

Mr. Kelly, there is no requirement to read or worry about the various reef threads.  This forum has frequently wandered off into discussions which some have considered absurd.  Marty and I will come down hard on invalid methodology and misrepresentation of documented fact, but we try very hard not to squash the expression of opinion.  We respect the forum readers' and contributors' ability to make their own judgements about the validity of the opinions expressed.

I do share your concern that discussions of shapes seen in underwater video have come to dominate the forum.  Such discussions have value but there are many more of aspects of this immense project that need attention.  I'll open up a few new topics that I hope you and others will find worthy of attention.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org