Advanced search  

Poll

In Reply #24 to the "Summary of Debris" thread, there is a scale for the picture of the scallop shell.

2 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 5 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 8 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
13 centimeters
- 1 (6.3%)
18 centimeters
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video  (Read 422597 times)

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
Re: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »

NR16020 never had, to the best of my knowledge and anti-collision light or any other light on the top of the fuselage.  There was a place for it but never installed that I can see.  If you can show me a picture of one on Amelia's Electra, I surely would like to see it.  So I would consider Mr. Harney's drawing moot with respect to NR16020.  Not only was the red lens missing, the whole light was. IMO

http://tinyurl.com/d79f8w9

The second of your two photos seems to show the light in question. Do you think it could possibly be an air vent instead?

Good photo catch, Tim.

Yes, I really do think that is a vent placement.  There are several overhead vents running down the spine of the Electra.  I meant to point that out - they tend to look like reverse 'scoops' when installed and match to overhead air outlet escutcheons in the cabin headliner.  I think there was one right over the lavatory and it seems like it may have been slightly smaller / maybe even in the 'postive' (forward scooping) orientation as compared to the forward two or three examples (over main cabin), not sure but close examination of some more pictures may reveal that to be true.

The vent 'scoops' do 'protrude' - not quite as much but in similar fashion to how a beacon would protrude into the air passage.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »

Then we all agree it could be a vent. That was easy enough. I will change the description accordingly. Thanks for your help, Bob and Jeff.

:)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »

Hi All

Anyone know what these man made objects i have highlighted, Could be off i.e boat plane car etc  :)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »

Funny that toilet fixture talk came up. I saw something earlier in the Debris field that could be toilet or sink but don’t know what they should look like. Mostly I just find myself saying "what the hell is that?" like from the SNL skit with Steve Martin

Greg, do you mean the thing I have circled.  That's a turtle doncha know.  Don't you know the difference between a toilet seat and a turtle?  Oh heck, let's wait, Tim will figure it out.

Really a turtle  ;D

Member# 416

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »

Funny that toilet fixture talk came up. I saw something earlier in the Debris field that could be toilet or sink but don’t know what they should look like. Mostly I just find myself saying "what the hell is that?" like from the SNL skit with Steve Martin

Greg, do you mean the thing I have circled.  That's a turtle doncha know.  Don't you know the difference between a toilet seat and a turtle?  Oh heck, let's wait, Tim will figure it out.

Really a turtle  ;D

You know it Richie, and keep on keeping on posting those pictures of the Gardner City Dumpsite.  Tim has a lot of work to do before his meeting with Jeff Glickman ;D
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »

Really a turtle  ;D

You know it Richie, and keep on keeping on posting those pictures of the Gardner City Dumpsite.  Tim has a lot of work to do before his meeting with Jeff Glickman ;D

No, I'm absolutely positive those parts come from the Spirit of St. Louis...
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »

Really a turtle  ;D

No, I'm absolutely positive those parts come from the Spirit of St. Louis...

Now yur makin' sense Tim.  Glad you have a sense of humor.  Any chance you can swing by and pick me up in the Limo on your way to Woodinville, I'm only 15 minutes from SEA.  We can sip the bubbly along the way.  I promise I won't say a word when you're viewing the videos with Jeff. :)
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:10:14 PM by Bob Lanz »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »

:) Bob, Tim has a real chance to show Jeff there is debris in the 2010 video in which the result's could be of benefit to Tighar.

I just hope Tim can handle what Jeff has to say on what he see's   ;)

Member# 416

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »

Yes, I really do think that is a vent placement.  There are several overhead vents running down the spine of the Electra.

Photos of air scoops on this page about 2-1-V-1.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »

Yes, I really do think that is a vent placement.  There are several overhead vents running down the spine of the Electra.

Photos of air scoops on this page about 2-1-V-1.

Marty, I think that Jeff was referring to the fact that is where a vent would have been placed if one were there.  The pics you show I believe were on the side or underside of the fuselage, not on top.  The three on top were of a different shape.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:12:12 PM by Bob Lanz »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 04:05:34 PM »

Marty, I think that Jeff was referring to the fact that is where a vent would have been placed if one were there.  The pics you show I believe were on the side or underside of the fuselage, not on top.  The three on top were of a different shape.

I don't know for sure.

I thought that this picture was called "Top" because it is on top of the fuselage.

This one seems to be on top, looking over the top of the wings:

I grant that I have never been inside an Electra, but my offhand view is that this is more likely to be a picture of an overhead air scoop than one underneath the aircraft:

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:24 PM »

Quote from: Martin X. Moleski, SJ link=topic=1038.msg22138#msg22138 date=1353971134
[quote author=Bob Lanz link=topic=1038.msg22137#msg22137 date=1353966555

Can't argue a point I am not sure of Marty.  It is what it is.  :)
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »

Not saying it is or it isn't, but does anyone know which way the toilet faced when mounted (in the plane  ;D, not when in use)? The one in my boat just sits in a rather small area and can face whichever way you want. Generally it faces the bow so you sit with your back to the rear bulkhead. I've found that reduces unexpected movements  ;D as the boat is under weigh. The reason I ask is simple, IF what resembles a toilet in the photo is not facing where it would be in the Electra than it either is NOT a toilet or it was moved about for some reason. I can't imagine that it would not have been mounted to the deck in some fashion to keep it from moving about and wither damaging the plane or worse, spilling its contents. IF it is a toilet in the photo it appears to face toward the rear of the plane which doesn't make sense to me as the lid wouldn't stay up when the plane was on the ground, unless there was a hook or something.  LTM- who always loved a straight flush  ;D
-John

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »

Now a good square corner, that tells me a lot.

Well Mr Mellon it tells me that it is just a bit of coral that's got a bit of a squarish edge after it broke. Fine grained rocks do that sort of thing. 

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 05:28:54 PM »

Now a good square corner, that tells me a lot.

Well Mr Mellon it tells me that it is just a bit of coral that's got a bit of a squarish edge after it broke. Fine grained rocks do
that sort of thing.

I find it odd all these odd angles have left angles right angles

But no even angles. dya get it  :D

Member# 416

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org