Advanced search  

Poll

In Reply #24 to the "Summary of Debris" thread, there is a scale for the picture of the scallop shell.

2 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 5 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 8 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
13 centimeters
- 1 (6.3%)
18 centimeters
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video  (Read 422598 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »

Heads, world hunger, tails, Earhart...

Heads it is.  Sorry lady.

Jeff, I will miss your excellent writing, healthy skepticism and civilized tone.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Will Hatchell

• inactive
  • "Down to the nitty-gritty"
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »

Heads, world hunger, tails, Earhart...

Heads it is.  Sorry lady.

Jeff, I will miss your excellent writing, healthy skepticism and civilized tone.

Tim,

I heartily second your motion per Jeff!  8)
Hatch

TIGHAR #3975S

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2012, 03:22:50 PM »

Bob Lanz

This image is for you  :)

As you can see in image, The letter C is visible.

Well it's the closest thing i can find at min, That is actually visible an easy to see

Jeff Nevill

Please reconsider on what you stated you might do, Your a valued an well respected person on this forum and i would be sad if you let something annoy you to the point of leaving  :(
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »

Richie, I do see a 'C". This appears to be from the NC wreckage??
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2012, 03:46:31 PM »

No Tom

This is from the high def video 2012

It is in the vicinity of debris field, An my image is at very beginning, Here is link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cmz2m0jSUTE

Member# 416

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »

... generally I'm at a loss for words.  :o

As are we all.

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »

Ok i may have been quick to assume it was the letter C.

However in my defense u can see were i made mistake in this image  :)

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2012, 05:51:39 PM »

Also the unedited image

Member# 416

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »

Also as seen in above image's you see wire/plant stalk

If you take this image into account the shape of wire/stalk on instrument panel.

I hope Ric may forward these to Jeff Glickman as i find it to alike to be random coral  :)

Member# 416

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »

It is in the vicinity of debris field, An my image is at very beginning,

Richie, can you identify the run by date or time stamp, so there is some reference to Norwich City or Nessie?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2012, 06:15:26 PM »

It is in the vicinity of debris field, An my image is at very beginning,

Richie, can you identify the run by date or time stamp, so there is some reference to Norwich City or Nessie?

Hi Tim

I have in reply 111 which is 5 above this one to Tom, The still image is at very start of video

Member# 416

Michael Elliot

• T2
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »

Richie,

First, Your “C” seems to me to be a curved cut between two tabs, each of which may have a mounting hole for rivet or bolt. There are two others opposite. There also may be a circular hole in the middle of this. It might be a control cable guide fitting that was originally fastened to a sheet of something like a bulkhead, or floor panel or wing rib/spar, etc. From the size of the holes in the tabs (think partly occluded rivet holes, original size about 3/16") it looks about 4"-5" square. At that scale, the cable size is about right for a control cable.

Second, Directly below that center hole, and apparently in front of the fitting is what looks like a sheave viewed from the side with two arms holding the axle which is 10 oclock - 4 oclock in the pic.

Third, behind the fitting, in a 10 oclock direction and away from the viewer, is what might be a tube with a square cross-section on the outside (see why TIGHAR needs the blueprints?) And at the back of that tube is what might be a circular mount. I can see this fitting bridging a space between two bulkheads, or between two wing sections.

Fourth, while it’s probably nothing at all, just coincidence, the “V” in the cable resting on something could be one of those fittings that allows a change in the direction of a control cable.  All this stuff together is certainly man-made. All this stuff together says maybe airplane. But, that’s all it says

Control cable guide sounds good. Which one is anyone’s guess. There could be 20 or 30 such guides in an L-10.

BTW, the control cables were almost certainly steel. Much of the sheaves and yokes and arms were also likely to have been steel. Al is too soft in this usage. And, almost all of that steel would have had corrosion protection because passing between the plane and its control surfaces opens the system to rain. Also, builders would have avoided direct contact between steel and aluminum because of potential galvanic action and associated corrosion -- a second argument for protecting the steel. Which may explain the apparent lack of marine growth on these few parts.

Last, if it's not a CS fitting, it might be a fitting exiting from a fuel tank but I’d expect both ends to be circular to hold gaskets, and I’d expect more than 4 fasteners. So, I'd put this probability at the low end.

Regards to all

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2012, 06:06:07 AM »

to the untrained eye the map in Tims photo looks more like a cabin window with its slight curve.

After further examination, I agree with Chris Johnson's assessment. Specifically, the corners of the object are rounded, and the size (2 ft x 1 ft) fits by comparison to other objects in the field.

The new analysis, below, shows a possible sextant and also a draftsman's triangle (appears to be 30-60-90). Pencil box and triangle were both listed in the Luke Field Inventory.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:01:07 AM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:16 AM »

Below, the first picture is from the underwater frame, the next two are pictures taken prior to the flight. To my eye, they show the same belt buckle.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »

Hi Micheal

Thank's for the input  :)

Member# 416

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org