Advanced search  

Poll

In Reply #24 to the "Summary of Debris" thread, there is a scale for the picture of the scallop shell.

2 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 5 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
 8 centimeters
- 4 (25%)
13 centimeters
- 1 (6.3%)
18 centimeters
- 3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video  (Read 421472 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Summary of Debris from 2010 Video
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 07:05:07 PM »

:)

Now to the gist of the matter.  NR16020 never had, to the best of my knowledge and anti-collision light or any other light on the top of the fuselage.  There was a place for it but never installed that I can see.  If you can show me a picture of one on Amelia's Electra, I surely would like to see it.  So I would consider Mr. Harney's drawing moot with respect to NR16020.  Not only was the red lens missing, the whole light was. IMO
Here. 

Actually, your second photo shows it too.                                                     :)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:09:31 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 07:22:24 PM »

Think "scale".

Actually, Jeff, I've come to the conclusion that this "scale" thing is a crock. In my estimation, what is important is pattern, especially in comparison with known images, such as photos and drawings. Because 2D cannot provide depth, there is no way to scale anything, save by comparison to other items assumed to be related and inhabiting the same realm. IMHO, of course.                                                                        :) :)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:24:15 PM by Tim Mellon »

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 08:27:34 PM »

Think "scale".

Actually, Jeff, I've come to the conclusion that this "scale" thing is a crock. In my estimation, what is important is pattern, especially in comparison with known images, such as photos and drawings. Because 2D cannot provide depth, there is no way to scale anything, save by comparison to other items assumed to be related and inhabiting the same realm. IMHO, of course.                                                                        :) :)

Scale a crock? What about the clam shell clearly seen in one of the pics. It alone shows just how close the camera is to the all that coral gravel and sand. Then of course Mr Gillespie has pointed out time and time again the closeness of the camera to the things it was filming.

I would politely suggest that if you don't understand how necessary a scale or some object of known size is for determining the size of unknown objects in a photo or a video then I really don't think that you should be bothering either Mr Gillespie or Mr Glickman.   

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »

Tim, just where do you see a light where you circled.  You circled what appears to be a patch with a slight impression of a circle on the fuselage.  What is that?  And no, neither of my photos show a light on top of the fuselage as Harney depicted it.

Old picture, Bob, circle shows WC window covered. Light is dark spec on top of fuselage. :)
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:55:15 PM by Tim Mellon »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »

What about the clam shell clearly seen in one of the pics. It alone shows just how close the camera is to the all that coral gravel and sand.

So, just how big IS that scallop shell, Dan?

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:03:27 AM by Tim Mellon »

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 04:19:06 AM »

What about the clam shell clearly seen in one of the pics. It alone shows just how close the camera is to the all that coral gravel and sand.

So, just how big IS that scallop shell, Dan?

I'd say about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2  inches at the widest part at best.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:26:44 AM by Dan Kelly »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 04:29:07 AM »

In my lifetime I've seen scallop shells anywhere from quarter inch across (baby) to 8 or 9 inches across. So for me the shell doesn't tell me all that much, except it does verify that the water is quite clear.

Now a good square corner, that tells me a lot.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:28:20 PM by Tim Mellon »

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 06:58:49 AM »

I guess we can all have our ideas as to what a crock might be.  'Scale' may be inconvenient, but I don't think it's a crock.  However, I certainly have my own ideas about what a crock is.  Like I said...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:11:55 AM by J. Nevill »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »

Tim, just where do you see a light where you circled.  You circled what appears to be a patch with a slight impression of a circle on the fuselage.  What is that?  And no, neither of my photos show a light on top of the fuselage as Harney depicted it.

Old picture, Bob, circle shows WC window covered. Light is dark spec on top of fuselage. :)

Man, you are really grasping at straws to be right on this forum.  You didn't even know the difference between a position light and an anti-collision light.  Especially one that isn't even there.  Keep cheating your mind about these things Tim, I am done with it.
Sorry, Bob,  I'm only using the descriptor from the Harney drawing. Perhaps you should vent your rage against the draftsman.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 08:32:59 AM »

When I get home I will try to get a better picture for you.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Chris Austin

• T2
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 08:40:51 AM »

The accompanying shot I think shows a narrow section of fuselage behind the main entrance door (not in picture). The red position light on top of the fuselage can also be seen on the Harney drawing.

Edit: Maybe the red lens is not missing after all. The top looks appropriately rounded.

The toilet seat was raised - Fred must have been the last to use it.

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »

Jeff,

Can you say "pile of silt" ten times real fast?  ;D
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »

Funny that toilet fixture talk came up. I saw something earlier in the 2012 Debris Field video that could be toilet or sink but don’t know what they should look like. Mostly I just find myself saying "what the hell is that?" like from the SNL skit with Steve Martin
3971R

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:50:06 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »

Funny that toilet fixture talk came up. I saw something earlier in the Debris field that could be toilet or sink but don’t know what they should look like. Mostly I just find myself saying "what the hell is that?" like from the SNL skit with Steve Martin

Greg, do you mean the thing I have circled.  That's a turtle doncha know.  Don't you know the difference between a toilet seat and a turtle?  Oh heck, let's wait, Tim will figure it out.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »

NR16020 never had, to the best of my knowledge and anti-collision light or any other light on the top of the fuselage.  There was a place for it but never installed that I can see.  If you can show me a picture of one on Amelia's Electra, I surely would like to see it.  So I would consider Mr. Harney's drawing moot with respect to NR16020.  Not only was the red lens missing, the whole light was. IMO

http://tinyurl.com/d79f8w9

The second of your two photos seems to show the light in question. Do you think it could possibly be an air vent instead?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org