Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Black and White Video of the Debris Field  (Read 63797 times)

richie conroy

• T5
Re: 2012 Black and White Video of the Debris Field
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 05:48:24 PM »

Am awaiting to know how Tim gets on with Jeff Glickman tomorrow.

Richie, sorry but meeting is not for a week yet: 11th in Seattle.

Hi Tim

My apologies as i thought it was the 5th

No worries
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Dan Kelly

• T3
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »

Thanks Dan

It always good to get second opinion, So may i ask your opinion on this image which is also from Pipa website

Object circled in red

Coral head with some seaweed.

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »

See pdf for comparisons of the fender connection and an enlargement of a still from the Video where the tab or “clip" shows up well.  If the "clip" is to attach the fender to the strut, it appears to be in the wrong place on this object based on the images from the Purdue Archives. Also there is a lack of curvature in the object in one direction and the original fender appears to be a two piece design.
Could modifications have been made to the fender after the Luke Field crash?  Damage after landing that straightened it? Possible, but this is why I don’t think the object is the fender. It looks manmade though.
3971R

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:35:53 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »

That certainly does look like a tab for mounting a fender or similar object. My opinion though, it looks like the tab at the bottom rear of the fender where the bracing strut would attach. That doesn't show up well in the comparison photo. I'm wondering, given the width of the fender to cover the airwheel tire, were there two stuts supporting the rear of the fender, one to either side? Or, was it like a bicycle fender with a long u-shaped brace which rivets to the fender in the middle? Given how wide these fenders were I would think two separate struts is probably more likely. If that is the case it looks like it could be a rear mounting tab to me.  LTM  -John

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »

That certainly does look like a tab for mounting a fender or similar object. My opinion though, it looks like the tab at the bottom rear of the fender where the bracing strut would attach. That doesn't show up well in the comparison photo. I'm wondering, given the width of the fender to cover the airwheel tire, were there two stuts supporting the rear of the fender, one to either side? Or, was it like a bicycle fender with a long u-shaped brace which rivets to the fender in the middle? Given how wide these fenders were I would think two separate struts is probably more likely. If that is the case it looks like it could be a rear mounting tab to me.  LTM  -John

The location of the tab as it relates to a rear fender strut seems to be close. Attached is a picture of how the 2 fender struts attach as seen from behind. I don't see a tab on the outside. The lack of a curve in one direction still concerns me. The fender should have a double curve but the object seems flattened in one direction and not the other.

I think just looking at the shape and size (assumed by me) the shape fits more the leading edge of the wing between the fuselage and engine. The object also seems thick like it is hollow, maybe a deicing/ anti-icing feature where hot air from the engine is injected. Just speculating.
3971R

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:33:27 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »

Attached are more stills taken from the 2012 B&W Video that may show manmade objects.
The PDF attached has annotations, shows full images and has more possible manmade objects.

3971R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »

From 1:05 of the 2012 B&W Debris Field Video.
At right, center, what looks like a small tank of some kind. Shape looks formed to fit in a custom space. Note what looks like a fuel filler port at the upper left of the object.
3971R

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:37:33 AM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 05:40:10 PM »

This PDF has a still that may show another possible Fuel Filler neck. It is from the 2012 BW video of the Debris Field. I was looking at it for a while and thought I might post it now since this component was posted as a possibility in reply 303 of the Summary of Debris from 2010 video thread .
3971R

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:42:18 PM by Gregory Lee Daspit »

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »

Hello all, was just having a look at a still shot of the 2012 B&W footage,(debris field). I noticed some shapes and angles that poked out at me, when I rotated the picture a bit. Of course it probably is all NATURAL....  :o But never the less, It is fun straining the eyes now and then. I would never proclaim what I see here is man made, perhaps just a slight possibility. I have highlighted the shapes and angles in yellow.. 
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:26:47 AM by Jimmie Tyler »

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 09:43:48 AM »

Is there a time stamp, Jim?
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 10:48:53 AM »

Hello Mr. Mellon, I downloaded that particular picture from reply #21 within this thread, (just above).   ::)  Authored by Mr. Daspit. It is a still shot at the 1:05 mark in the  2012 B&W Debris Field Video. I simply turned the picture counter clockwise twice on my pc's picture viewing program. It is essentially just another view of the debris field.   
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 11:25:07 AM »

I have highlighted the shapes and angles in yellow..

Jimmie,
The area you highlighted with curved lines , but as seen at 1:19, has what I think looks like a screw with some kind of wingnut, tube, post, and a small hose clamp, among other small an made looking objects in this area. (again these are just what they look like to me). The curve line on your image would be to the right of the highlighted objects in this image, and this image is not rotated
3971R

Jimmie Tyler

• T1
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »

I have highlighted the shapes and angles in yellow..

Jimmie,
The area you highlighted with curved lines , but as seen at 1:19, has what I think looks like a screw with some kind of wingnut, tube, post, and a small hose clamp, among other small an made looking objects in this area. (again these are just what they look like to me). The curve line on your image would be to the right of the highlighted objects in this image, and this image is not rotated

I will have to quote my late Grandmother on this Mr. Daspit, " Lord Knows." I would think that such small items would be unrecognizable, and highly corroded after nearly 76 years in salt water. It is interesting to see the debris field in the rotated picture I posted.
Jim, TIGHAR #4064

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »

Greg...I saw your still from the three photos submitted. As I sat here the other night I pondered on this picture and I want your guys input on if you agree what I think it is. Anyway, I'll show your picture and then the other. Tell me if I'm seeing the tail part of the Electra?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:26:01 PM by Randy Conrad »

Randy Conrad

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »

Ric or Jeff Glickman...In correlation with my last set of pictures that I posted in this topic...I was wondering if you have a more clear image of H.png. From the image that Greg posted, it appears to be that of the tail of the Electra . When I took the image of the Electra and turned the picture upside down, and moved it closer to the other image...it appears to be a perfect match! Anyway, give me a heads up!!! Thanks!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org