Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dana Randolph  (Read 33099 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Dana Randolph
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »

Ditto, Hatch.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 09:31:41 AM »

Sorry to possibly raise an uncomfortable issue but given the times and Dana's particular demographic, were there any credibility issues raised with his claim?  other than hearing a call from the south pacific in Wyoming that is.

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »

Sorry to possibly raise an uncomfortable issue but given the times and Dana's particular demographic, were there any credibility issues raised with his claim?  other than hearing a call from the south pacific in Wyoming that is.

I haven't heard of any credibility issues from 1937.

From the post-loss radio signals catalog:

A local Department of Commerce radio operator investigated and verified Randolph’s report, and found that the call sign heard was KHAQQ, and that the signal frequency was “near 16000” kHz, which is close to 15525 kHz, the 5th harmonic of 3105 kHz. It was plausible for Randolph to be tuning there, since 15525 kHz was near a shortwave broadcast band. The investigator also found that the signal included a statement – not reported by the newspaper – that the plane was “on a reef southeast of Howland Island.” The possibility of a hoax can be ruled out, given the investigation and the fact that the newspaper was published every other day, hence printed news of post-loss signals had not yet reached Rock Springs.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Tim Collins

• T4
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 07:51:42 AM »

I haven't heard of any credibility issues from 1937.

Thank you, that answers my question.

matt john barth

• T1
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 07:55:35 AM »

What MR. Moleski says is why I think that this is one of the best pieces of circumstantial evidence that we have. The news wasn't even printed yet. That is a big point if you ask me.
Matthew J. Barth

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 08:16:21 AM »

So, it's clear that the teenage ham radio operator was son Dana and the father was Cyrus, not Charles, at least for census purposes. Hope this helps.

To be clear, Dana Randolph was not a "ham" (licensed radio amateur).  He was merely listening on the short-wave band of his family's commercial radio set.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org