Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire & Rope entire.mov  (Read 319604 times)

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »

Ric, CONGRATULATIONS on finding the final landing site of Amelia Earharts's round-the-world flight attempt! Your perserverance has paid off big time. Many have contributed to this gargantuan effort and the praise must be spread to all, for every little insight, right or wrong, has narrowed the possibilities and finally created an inevitability. I am proud to have been able to contribute a tiny portion of this effort, and to be associated with such a fine group of people.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »

Ric, CONGRATULATIONS on finding the final landing site of Amelia Earharts's round-the-world flight attempt! Your perserverance has paid off big time. Many have contributed to this gargantuan effort and the praise must be spread to all, for every little insight, right or wrong, has narrowed the possibilities and finally created an inevitability. I am proud to have been able to contribute a tiny portion of this effort, and to be associated with such a fine group of people.

Thanks Tim. Your support is vitally important. You know we have the right place.  I know we have the right place.  Many of the folks on this forum know we have the right place.  But the world won't be satisfied until we lay hands on that illusive "smoking gun," whatever it turns out to be.

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2012, 08:42:14 PM »

But the world won't be satisfied until we lay hands on that illusive "smoking gun," whatever it turns out to be.

I don't know what could smoke more than a unique cockpit. The License Authorization from the Department of Commerce can't be seen because it is posted on the bulkhead behind the pilot, and unfortunately your video captures the cockpit from behind.

If you are considering an attempt to return to grab a chunk of this aircraft debris, you might want to consider the possibility that the aircraft itself might be the tomb for one or more of the flight crew, and therefore hallowed ground.

My advice would be: (1) Declare Victory; (2) Move on to the next challenge. IMHO.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »

But the world won't be satisfied until we lay hands on that illusive "smoking gun," whatever it turns out to be.

I don't know what could smoke more than a unique cockpit. The License Authorization from the Department of Commerce can't be seen because it is posted on the bulkhead behind the pilot, and unfortunately your video captures the cockpit from behind.

If you are considering an attempt to return to grab a chunk of this aircraft debris, you might want to consider the possibility that the aircraft itself might be the tomb for one or more of the flight crew, and therefore hallowed ground.

My advice would be: (1) Declare Victory; (2) Move on to the next challenge. IMHO.

Well, with all due respect to the dead, if this is it maybe they wouldn't mind if we went out there and just dusted the tombstone off a bit before moving on...
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:45:20 PM by J. Nevill »

Alan Harris

• T3
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »

Well, it would seem that you have abandoned the project.  Wow in view of your latest declaration of your meeting in December with Mr. Glickman that you are not quite finished.  Now if you are so confident of your above statement, then put your "riches" where your mouth is and spend what ever it takes to find that hallowed ground.  God knows, you have it.

Well, in fairness, he didn't quite say he was abandoning anything.  But I certainly agree with you and others above (Ric and Jeff Nevill) that declaring victory without more follow-up of some sort is going to fall a bit flat in the eyes of the world in general, and some on the forum in particular.

Gary LaPook

• T5
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »

Richie,

As I've recently stated here, it appears consistent with the loop and spliced end of a cleat line for a surface vessel to me - not a 'fitting' - IMHO, YMMV.
OK, there seems to be a lot of verbiage spent on something that is obviously not part of the Electra.

gl

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2012, 01:56:46 AM »

Well, with all due respect to the dead, if this is it maybe they wouldn't mind if we went out there and just dusted the tombstone off a bit before moving on...

Jeff, I agree. This would be the proper approach.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Chris Johnson

• T5
  • Trying to give a fig but would settle for $100,000
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2012, 02:52:25 AM »

I wish I had your guys eyes as I fail to see nothing but coral and shadow plus some form of cable/rope that dosn't seem to have any marine growth suggesting to me that it is recent as opposed to vintage 1937 :(

However I'd love to be proved wrong  ;D

John Joseph Barrett

• T3
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2012, 05:16:53 AM »

I'm with the rest of the tired old eyes group who can't discern much of anything from the latest still photo. Maybe it's me, maybe my 6 year old laptop, maybe a combination. Any chance of some outlines/arrows/whatnot of what is thought to be present?   Thanks.   LTM who would love to see what she thinks she sees.    -John

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2012, 05:36:04 AM »

Respectfully, I'm with Chris and John. I do agree that it may be a tomb, but until you have first hand proof, you cant declare victory.
Go get the proof.
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov: Instrument panels
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »

Through the open pilot's hatch that I identified in Reply #35 to the "Landing near the Norwich" thread, I think I am able to identify the following instruments (see time 13:41:53, frame 12 of the subject video, upper righthand quadrant):

Eyebrow Panel -

#9 Direction finding control apparatus (the reference number is to the Harney drawings)

#4 Left and right thermocouple switches

Main Panel -

#4 Left and right manifold pressure guages

#5 Left tachometer

#10 Cambridge exhaust gas analyzer

#11 Bank and turn indicator

#12 Rate of climb

#26 Autopilot RUD and AIL adjustment knobs

#26 Autopilot directional gyro

#16 Wing tanks fuel guage

#25 Selector switch for wing tank guage

#18 Sensitive altimeter

Knee panel -

Ignition switches

4 slots, 2 each for Throttle and Mixture levers, partially obscured by pilot's wheel

Pilot's wheel is seen now to be in the neutral position, not turned 80 degrees to the right, as I thought several days ago.

Western Electric 27A Remote main dial with

FREQ knob (lower left) and AUDIO GAIN knob (lower right)

2 of 5 toggle switches (REC/OFF and DAY/NITE)

Co-pilot's wheel (not the Western Electric 9A Remote, as I originally thought)

Pilot's seat cushion, which appears to have the standard "cut-out" in the middle of the forward edge (not shown in Harney drawing)

Aircraft exterior -

The rectangular cover to the fueling port for the left forward cabin fuel tank can also be seen (faintly) aft of the rear edge of the open pilot's hatch.

Folks with better viewing equipment will probably be able to identify other features.

Might I ask Ric to please post the subject frame, along with the Harney drawings of the various instrument panels? I am not confident that I have the computer savvy to do so myself, and I certainly would not want to violate any copyright by doing so. I respectfully request that these findings also be forwarded to Jeff Glickman. Thanks.

Today I have been able to identify the co-pilot's wheel, and have edited the original Reply #54 accordingly.
Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »

Through the open pilot's hatch that I identified in Reply #35 to the "Landing near the Norwich" thread, I think I am able to identify the following instruments (see time 13:41:53, frame 12 of the subject video, upper righthand quadrant):

Eyebrow Panel -

#9 Direction finding control apparatus (the reference number is to the Harney drawings)

#4 Left and right thermocouple switches

Main Panel -

#4 Left and right manifold pressure guages

#5 Left tachometer

#10 Cambridge exhaust gas analyzer

#11 Bank and turn indicator

#12 Rate of climb

#26 Autopilot RUD and AIL adjustment knobs

#26 Autopilot directional gyro

#16 Wing tanks fuel guage

#25 Selector switch for wing tank guage

#18 Sensitive altimeter

Knee panel -

Ignition switches

4 slots, 2 each for Throttle and Mixture levers, partially obscured by pilot's wheel

Pilot's wheel is seen now to be in the neutral position, not turned 80 degrees to the right, as I thought several days ago.

Western Electric 27A Remote main dial with

FREQ knob (lower left) and AUDIO GAIN knob (lower right)

2 of 5 toggle switches (REC/OFF and DAY/NITE)

Co-pilot's wheel (not the Western Electric 9A Remote, as I originally thought)

Pilot's seat cushion, which appears to have the standard "cut-out" in the middle of the forward edge (not shown in Harney drawing)

Aircraft exterior -

The rectangular cover to the fueling port for the left forward cabin fuel tank can also be seen (faintly) aft of the rear edge of the open pilot's hatch.

Folks with better viewing equipment will probably be able to identify other features.

Might I ask Ric to please post the subject frame, along with the Harney drawings of the various instrument panels? I am not confident that I have the computer savvy to do so myself, and I certainly would not want to violate any copyright by doing so. I respectfully request that these findings also be forwarded to Jeff Glickman. Thanks.

Today I have been able to identify the co-pilot's wheel, and have edited the original Reply #54 accordingly.

Tim, with all due respect.  Hone you computer skills and post identifiers in screenshots to defend your position and your analysis.  Short of that most are not willing to go back and search for the numbered items you cite.  That stuff down there is alluding most here and you seem to have become the resident expert on the debris field.  I could do that for you but I am not willing to do the heavy lifting for you.  Good luck with your meeting with Jeff Glickman but frankly, I think you will come up very short of your analysis.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 09:30:43 AM by Bob Lanz »

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »

Ok---where do we go from here? Another expedition to take more video and pictures?
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Tim Mellon

• T5
  • Blast off!
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2012, 09:45:27 AM »

...post identifiers in screenshots to defend your position and your analysis. 

Bob, I'd love to be able to do this. Tell me where I can learn how to place arrows and baloons on a picture. Perhaps you could give me a tutorial.

Tim
Chairman,  CEO
PanAm Systems

TIGHAR #3372R

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:55:01 PM by Tim Mellon »

Bob Lanz

• T4
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2012, 09:53:02 AM »

...post identifiers in screenshots to defend your position and your analysis. 

Bob, I'd love to be able to do this. Tell me where I can learn how to place arrows and baloons on a picture. Perhaps hou could give me a tutorial.

Tim, I gave a simple tutorial on this thread. General discussion / Re: Wire & Rope entire.mov
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »  If you need more help, you are free to PM me for a more in depth tutorial.
Doc
TIGHAR #3906

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org