Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maid of Harlech project  (Read 23736 times)

Steve Ray

• T1
Maid of Harlech project
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »

Hi guys and thanks for allowing me access to the forum

When we heard about the Maid of Harlech Project here in the UK we all stood up and watched and listened enthusiastically. As a family we visit Harlech regularly during the year and we camp very close to the area during the summer months.  We have friends who live in Llanbedr which is no more than 5 miles away from Harlech who told us what they could and it obviously generated a lot of interest in the local and national media

I emailed Ric over a year ago now and he very kindly responded the next day with information on the project which I then issued out to my friends and colleagues who were interested in the project.  If they donated to the project I have no idea. The interest was so high I ended up putting a permanent link to your site on my site, which remains today

So how is the project going ?  Have there been any more updates at all. Are there any plans to revisit the site in the near future ? Are there any more photos available rather than those on the website ?

If you do have any more information it would be great to know

Steve

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:33:59 PM by moleski »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Maid of Harlech project
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »

Hi guys and thanks for allowing me access to the forum
Welcome!  Very pleased to make your acquaintance.
... The interest was so high I ended up putting a permanent link to your site on my site, which remains today
Much appreciated.  Thanks!
So how is the project going ?  Have there been any more updates at all. Are there any plans to revisit the site in the near future ? Are there any more photos available rather than those on the website ?
The main page for the project is http://tighar.org/Projects/P38/welshlightning.htm.  There hasn't been any news on that project that I've noticed since we opened up the news and forum section.  The big news since then has been the work on the Devastor by a dive team and the beginning of planning for the 2010 Niku expedition (Niku VI).

Marty
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:36:56 PM by moleski »

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:23:43 PM »

Marty - you should move these posts out of extraneous and into the Maid of Harlech Forum Section.

Steve - There hasn't been much official news on this project, but there is a bunch of work going on in the background.  TIGHAR members have actually been monitoring the site periodically and the Maid has not revealed herself since we were there in October of 2007.

Part of the process is to present a detailed plan to the local authorities who have jurisdiction over the site, and even that is complex as the  site is essentially on the line between two different ecological preserves, one seaward and the other landward.  With the aircraft in the intertidal zone, the recovery will also be a very complex process.  In addition, we have to have a reasonably well developed plan for what is going to happen to the aircraft, and how it will be conserved.  Going to take special expertise, and lots of money.  Hopefully, we'll be able to move forward again soon, but resources have been pulled in many directions, including the Devastator and Earhart Projects.

Andrew McKenna

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 06:35:27 PM »

OK, I've moved the topic per your request, Andrew.

Marty

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org