Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 08:46:46 AM 
Started by Friend Weller - Last post by Friend Weller
An interesting article that could shed some light on the difficulties Fred may have had to deal with in shooting his sunrise sight on the morning of 02 July 1937 and his subsequent navigational calculations.

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/we-dont-really-know-when-the-sun-rises/

on: Today at 07:36:48 AM 
Started by Kenton E. Spading - Last post by Ric Gillespie
TIGHAR will not be participating in the symposium but I've told Kenton that we'll be happy to publish anyone’s research that adds to the understanding of the events surrounding the Earhart disappearance.

on: January 16, 2019, 06:52:55 PM 
Started by Kenton E. Spading - Last post by Kenton E. Spading
Hello,

I am chairing the 2nd Annual Amelia Earhart-Fred Noonan Symposium in Eugene, Oregon again this year at the Eugene Hilton.   The Symposium will occur on either Thursday, May 2, Friday, May 3 or Saturday, May 4, 2019.  The exact day will be determined soon.

This symposium is a component The Archaeology Channel (TAC) Conference on Cultural Heritage Media which is itself a key activity of the 16th Annual TAC International Film Festival.  The Archaeology Channel (TAC) is a streaming media website brought to you by Archaeological Legacy Institute (ALI) which is a 501[c][3] nonprofit. 

Please consider attending as a presenter.   The Deadline for submitting an abstract for a presentation or forum topic is January 31, 2019 (midnight).
Your presentation does not have to be ready by then.  Forward a 150-words-or-less description of the topic you want to present.  The registration fee for presenters is $100 which is also due on January 31.   If you want to submit an abstract email me directly at KSpading@Comcast.net.  I will forward an abstract submission form to you.

Many of you can speak to a Earhart-Noonan topic or have ideas for a forum topic.   The symposium is held to further the development of our understanding of Ms. Earhart’s and Mr. Noonan’s lives, contributions, disappearance and influences on popular culture.  The symposium presents a wonderful opportunity for Earhart-Noonan devotees and researchers to get together, network and compare notes!  This Conference is especially well designed for media-related presentations.

Note the wide variety of topics at this link which were presented last year ranging from tongue-in-check humor such as:

“Buzzards or Boosters? Fiction Writers and the Amelia Mystery”
to Technical:
“Reassessment of Acute Environment Impacts on Earhart’s Final Flight”. 

[url]https://www.archaeologychannel.org/tac-events/international-film-festival/218-archived-festival-pages/tac-fest-2018-pages/2685-earhart-symposium[url]

The Earhart-Noonan Symposium will be listed in conference brochures as: “The Search for Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan II: Updates and New Developments.”  Symposium papers will be presented in the morning and afternoon on symposium day.  In 2018 we had a full morning and afternoon of interesting AE-FN related presentations.

I sincerely hope you can attend this year.  Questions are welcome.

The festival/conference registration and payment goes directly to the Archaeological Legacy Institute.

Festival/Conference Registration Forms:[url]https://www.archaeologychannel.org/images/documents/conference/2019/ConfRegistrationForm2019.pdf[url]

Direct questions on registration to the Archaeological Legacy Institute (ALI):
conference@archaeologychannel.org
or call 541-345-5538

**March 31, 2019: This is the deadline if you wish to attend and not present.  The Festival/Conference registration fee is $100 ($130 beginning April 1).   Alternatively, a full-day pass to the Earhart-Noonan Symposium (or other events that day) is $50.  A single presentation pass is $10.  The Wednesday banquet last year was $60.  We are awaiting negotiations with the hotel for this year’s cost.

Dates:
May 1, 2019: TAC Festival begins Wednesday evening with the Festival Banquet and Keynote Address delivered by Evan Hadingham, Senior Science Editor at WGBH NOVA.  That kicks off the film festival and attendant conference.
May 2-5, 2019: TAC Film Festival Screenings
May 2-4, 2019: TAC Conference on Cultural Heritage Media. At least two other symposia beside Earhart-Noonan are in the planning stages.
May 2, 3 OR 4, 2019: Earhart-Noonan Symposium (date to be determined):  The Search for Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan II: Updates and New Developments

Film Festival:  Films from 2018 are linked here:
[url]https://www.archaeologychannel.org/tac-events/international-film-festival/135-archived-festival-pages/2620-film-festival-2018[url]

Information on the 2019 Festival and the selected films is linked here:
[url]https://www.archaeologychannel.org/events-guide/tac-international-film-festival/international-film-festival[url]

Conference on Cultural Heritage Media:  Conference information is linked here:
[url]https://www.archaeologychannel.org/events-guide/tac-conference-on-cultural-heritage-media[url]

For further questions on registration contact Archaeological Legacy Institute (ALI) at:
conference@archaeologychannel.org
or call 541-345-5538

Location: Hilton Eugene and Conference Center, 66 E. 6th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97401, Eugene, Oregon, USA, USA 1-800-937-6660. 

on: January 15, 2019, 07:30:34 AM 
Started by Karen Hoy - Last post by Ric Gillespie
That's an excellent article.  Phil Boucher did a great job getting the facts straight. 

This project has caught fire with the media. Attached is a BBC Radio piece that aired yesterday.  I also did a SKYPE video with BBC-1 television.  Haven't seen it yet.  I'm now talking to AOPA Pilot magazine.  And the beat goes on.

on: January 15, 2019, 07:28:29 AM 
Started by Karen Hoy - Last post by Bill Mangus
Nice article, for once.

on: January 14, 2019, 09:09:09 PM 
Started by Karen Hoy - Last post by Karen Hoy
From the MSN homepage:

https://tinyurl.com/ybbc7pkb

on: January 10, 2019, 09:15:12 AM 
Started by John Klier - Last post by Leon R White
Thank you for looking at the picture, Andrew.  I see the shadows you reference, but do not understand, exactly, why that would result from a depression in the coral.  However, its not important I understand it.  I haven't seen coral with such crisp indentations, but I don't dive as you do.  I never intended that it was anything to do with AE of course, it just concerned me that it might be something from somewhere else that was of interest to someone.  I asked NTSB analysts to look at it so I can stop thinking about it. Someday, when they come back to work they might do that, but there is nothing else for me.  I do wonder about the white dot to the left of the object that suggests something sticking out and/or reflecting. It too has a slight shadow. but enough.
I'm glad the yellow box re-appeared too.
Thanks again.

on: January 06, 2019, 01:08:23 PM 
Started by Matt Revington - Last post by Ric Gillespie
TIME is being much gentler with Amelia than they were in 1937.  They say, "For her last hurrah, she began by flying from Oakland, Calif., to Miami, where she announced that for her last flight, she would fly around the world. Her goals were “to establish the feasibility of circling the globe by commercial air travel” and “to determine just how human beings react under strain and fatigue,” TIME reported."

That quote is taken out of context.  It's from a March 29, 1937 article in TIME that reported the accident in Hawaii. The full quote is, "Between 1924 and 1933 the globe was girdled six times by aircraft. Last year, when Pan American started carrying passengers across the Pacific, Reporters Herbert Elkins and Leo Kieran circled the globe on commercial airlines. Soon after, Pan American's president Juan Terry Trippe and a party of friends also flew around the world on commercial airlines.  Last week, Aviatrix Amelia Earhart Putnam took off from Oakland "to establish the feasibility of circling the globe by commercial air travel" and "to determine just how human beings react under strain and fatigue."

In their reporting on Earhart, TIME was consistently snarky and mocking.  They considered her a publicity-seeking phony.

The current TIME article also butchers the facts about TIGHAR's work and fails to mention there have been four, not one, failed deep sea searches around Howland.

on: January 06, 2019, 10:28:47 AM 
Started by Matt Revington - Last post by Matt Revington
Time marked the anniversary with the article linked below, I liked the extensive quotes from the 1937 reporting in Time , it gives a feel for what the world was thinking about her fate then.

http://time.com/5486999/amelia-earhart-disappearance-theories/

on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:12 PM 
Started by John Klier - Last post by Andrew M McKenna
Took me a while, but now I see it.  I believe what you are looking at is a depression in the coral that happens to have the odd aircraft shaped look to it.  It can look like the inverse, where it seems to be an object, but is actually a void.  If you notice, there are a bunch of shadows visible - the dark spots all on the south east side of several corners which happen to be in line with the shadows from the trees.  In the end, I don't think that what you see, or think you see, is there.  It is coral formations and the gaps between them.

Andrew

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Copyright 2019 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org