Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Infant Grave  (Read 12077 times)

Paul Henry

• T1
Infant Grave
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:31:53 AM »

Hi Folks,  I'm new to the forum and have had lots of hours of great reading.

Sorry if this question has been covered before, but I haven't seen the answer.

There is mention of a infant grave (possibly still born) having been found during one of the excavations.  I've read the online details of this excavation on your site, but didn't see anything addressing this question:

What sort of investigation, information, DNA etc. was used to rule out the possibility that Amelia could in fact have been pregnant, and that this baby could have been hers?

From reading through the materials it sounds like it's possible that AE could have been alive on the island for months before passing away.  Assuming a longer time on the island, it seems possible she could have been pregnant or gotten pregnant and given birth there.

Thanks, I look forward to reading more.

Paul

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:35:43 AM by Paul Henry »

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Infant Grave
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:11:32 AM »

Hi Folks,  I'm new to the forum and have had lots of hours of great reading.
Welcome!
What sort of investigation, information, DNA etc. was used to rule out the possibility that Amelia could in fact have been pregnant, and that this baby could have been hers?
None.  I think the team knew from the beginning that it was a Gilbertese- (I Kiribati-) style grave and had hoped that the islanders had buried an adult's body found there.

Marty
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:28:46 AM »

That's right.  We actually get this question fairly frequently and it's something that occurred to us at the time but, as Marty said, the grave is of classic Gilbertese construction - lined with coral slabs and oriented with the head facing East. Also, the infant was interred in a wooden box.

Ric

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »

Even though the grave was what it sounds like an islander's grave, Amelia did tell a photographer before she went on that fatal trip that she thought there was a possibility she was pregnant... God only knows if there'd be any evidence of her statement at Niku (other tiny bones).

Ashley Such

• T3
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:00:38 PM »

Is this documented somewhere?

I would think that if this had been the case then any burial would be extreamly difficult to find and the bones probably gone to dust.

Yeah, in Mary S. Lovell's biography of Amelia, she put in what the photographer recalled... And I quote;

"...we were in the kitchen having coffee and I asked her what she was planning to do after the trip. I can't remember her exact words, but she told me she thought there was a possibility she was pregnant and that when she came back, she was going to be 'just a woman'."

And yeah, if that were the case, I'd think so too, that the bones would be long gone.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:02:25 PM by Ashley »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org