Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 106   Go Down

Author Topic: Still from ROV video  (Read 1283224 times)

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
Re: Still from ROV video
« Reply #1305 on: July 04, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

Which leads us to the remains of the dome. By its very nature the material it was made from was very thin so not very robust but, the bits are there, scattered about. Scale an issue? when ROVer decends past the dome remains to the right the cavern the 'it's not an RDF antenna' was housed in becomes obvious.
Red arrow cavern
Yellow lines edge of dome
Blue arrow 'it's not an RDF antenna' mounting
This must be the place

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:41:16 PM by Jeff Victor Hayden »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1306 on: July 04, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »

J

best way to get around the scale of object's, is to view them as thumb nail image's... i saved images off my computer to my micro SD card that goes in my BlackBerry  and when you go to media, picture's, an go through images as thumb nail's u see outlines that are not visible when you view full image's..

:)
We are an echo of the past

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1307 on: July 04, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »

It's a struggle for sure Jeff. However, rather than just postulate that something could be this or could be that, recently I have been trying to identify objects that are something, something that actually existed and, can be named.
Most airplanes have wings, engines, undercarriage etc... Well, the successful ones. To point out in the ROV footage what could be wing, engines doesn't make it so. However, if you can point to something and say, that's a such and such reciever or antenna, they were around in the 1935-1945 era, here's the model number, tens of thousands of them were produced, they were used on such and such planes, naval stations/outposts/ships. Then...
If these objects that are something that actually existed and I have named them correctly then they might not give the outcome we all want but, they will give an outcome.
Any way, we'll soon find out one way or the other
IMHO of course
(That's why they put erasers on the end of pencils)
 ;)
This must be the place

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #1308 on: July 04, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

J

best way to get around the scale of object's, is to view them as thumb nail image's... i saved images off my computer to my micro SD card that goes in my BlackBerry  and when you go to media, picture's, an go through images as thumb nail's u see outlines that are not visible when you view full image's..

:)

My point is that it's not just size, Richie -

Because we lack meaningful depth perception, shapes are often not what they seem.  A 'cannonball' viewed end-on may really be a 'teacup' with a distinctly flared lip if you can manage to get the full perspective of it from other sides, etc.

Real point is that while this analysis is a lot of fun, I just don't know how much the available footage can really tell us.  If something 'hot' turns up - like in the present expedition, then I'm sure it'll be all hands on deck to go take all the footage they possibly can from all angles possible.  We just don't have that in the ROV footage in-hand so far.  And I admit, I don't think there's really enough here in evidence that would make me want to spend a lot of time trying to relocate this exact field again, either (if I were the master of this search, which gratefully I am not).  Were I 'master', I think it would be more productive to begin a fresh search in the whole area and not go doggedly after the 'stuff' of this footage - which we may never see again, who knows at this point?

I think we also have to appreciate that you are looking at a tiny slice of that reef face - and that the odds of any fortuitous 'shape' being a part of the Electra, never mind a major debris field, is at least as slim as that slice of real estate.  Plus, I have to believe that TIGHAR has had far better eyes and brains than mine poring over this tape long before now, and if they're not too excited about it then, well...

Meanwhile, I don't claim to have your eyes or mind for this, and I do admire what you fellas do - fine by me and it's the spirit of the search that counts so much.  Blessings!

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 05:35:41 PM by J. Nevill »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1309 on: July 04, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »

Jeff H

look at the area an pattern i have outlined in attached image, then look at your unedited image...

do u see what appears to be a cap or cover ?

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1310 on: July 04, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »

Oh, and I am still intrigued by the original 'shape' that got this whole string started in the first place, whatever it is (and how can I say given what I've just explained).  It sure as hell is shaped alot like a certain part of a certain machine, as we can see it... trouble is, I can't tell if that's the real shape (see above) or if the size is even close...

But it is cool and I'm glad Jeff Victor started this... it has been a ton of fun.  And I do still wonder what that 'squiggly' is... maybe fish guts from a fresh kill, or...  ;)

LTM -

I like Johns idea of the microphone cable, that black squiggly thing has been annoying me all through this thread Jeff.
Yes, it's been an adventure the ROV footage, 2 minutes?
Just goes to show what happens when you look at the whole picture, not just the headlines.
IMHO there is aircraft wreckage, who's it is? we shall see.
This must be the place

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1311 on: July 04, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »

J. Nevill

i totally understand what your saying, my first reaction to wire/rope video, is why are the objects in question so clean ?

and were would you expect to find 2 new looking ropes ?

directly under Norwich City wreck maybe ? were people have tried to tie off to ship ?

However given debris in surrounding area i doubt it's Norwich city related

like every one else i see coral rocks, however when them coral rocks resemble aircraft parts in the vicinity of suspected lost aircraft, i have to question why do they resemble aircraft parts ?   

Member# 416

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1312 on: July 04, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »

There's lots of coral down there, why wouldn't there be? But, amongst it and underneath it... 75 years worth of sharing natures environment will have its effect.
This must be the place

John Balderston

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1313 on: July 04, 2012, 07:12:05 PM »

Jeff, well said and appreciate your articulating.  I get it - immediate change in tone.   :-[
John Balderston TIGHAR #3451R

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #1314 on: July 04, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »

Jeff, well said and appreciate your articulating.  I get it - immediate change in tone.   :-[

No offense intended, for sure, so appreciate your kindness.  I admit that I get a bit 'testy' about my own sensitivities at times, so do forgive me if I 'quit preachin' and went to meddlin''.  So thanks, and well intended. 

I guess I think enough of 'the gang' here to not want any of us looking like what I described - a good bunch, the folks who love the chase, agreeing with me on Niku or not, or a particular idea or not.  Here I have sat all day - indoors on Independence Day, nursing a bad cold from the last trip - but no regrets.  I think that means pretty good company here.

P.S. - Omigosh, what have I done... I just noticed - why do you keep removing posts???  Don't let somebody like me make you feel like you need to do that!!!  Now I feel like I've chilled a newbie to the site... egad, don't do that - I'm just one crotchety voice...  ;)  Boy can I pick the moments...

WELCOME ABOARD!  :)

LTM -
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:29:22 PM by J. Nevill »

richie conroy

• T5
« Reply #1315 on: July 04, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »

John

for nearly a year i have been convinced the object arrow is pointing to, in this still is a tail wheel.

however now due to sort of understanding the lay out of coral, i am of the imaginary opinion it is one of the pulley wheels, used to pass messages back an fourth, from cockpit to fuselage  :-\

Member# 416

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1316 on: July 04, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675063657_Amelia-Earhart-Putnam_Fred-Noonan_transatlantic-flight_Fred-Noonan
Jeff, You can see AE demonstrate the stick used to pass notes in the video above
I thought the picture looked like a tail wheel too and it fit the scale of the cable better than an engine cowl.
John
What happened to the image you posted? It was interesting. It looked like the same formation Richie posted but at a different angle or different lighting and it looked a little more like a tail wheel.
Can we see the two images together?
 Lighting makes thinks look different. Like the "face on Mars". A different angle and light it does not look like a face at all. It would help to see the formation of what looks like a tail wheel with different angles and lighting
3971R

Greg Daspit

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #1317 on: July 04, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »

Marty loaded this cool picture on another thread
Look how many round and straight objects in the Norwich City debris that are on the reef.
Now imagine if the plane drifted into the N.C debris field off the reef. Or if shifting currents washed NC debris into the area of the cable or plane debris.
Could make it very difficult to pick targets to search
3971R

Jeff Victor Hayden

• T5
« Reply #1318 on: July 05, 2012, 01:54:33 AM »

Don't worry too much about there being possibly more than one tail wheel. They carried a spare tail wheel, check out the Luke field inventory.
This must be the place

Tom Swearengen

• T5
  • earhart monument, Hawaii
« Reply #1319 on: July 05, 2012, 05:40:17 AM »

WEll said Jeff. I admit to my over excitement. I guess my following AE's mystery for 45 years has gotten to me. For the first time, I sense that an expedition will finally (for ME) produce evidence that I can see and understand. (Guess I was absent the day they taught us archaeology in school ;D).
Alot of members have contributed to getting this thing to the point of where we are. Jeff, many like your self, have stayed in the background, although providing VALUBLE information. Some have been more forward. But----its all good, and all valuble, whether is corrct of not---it gives us all something to think about. In the grand scheme of things, its the journey, a means to an end. But, for me, this journey is just starting ---
Tom Swearengen TIGHAR # 3297

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 106   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org