Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery Debris  (Read 30244 times)

Brian Tannahill

• TIGHAR member
Re: Mystery Debris
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 06:39:19 AM »

I couldn't get the USCG site to load, but Google has a cached version of the document

It's HTML instead of pdf, which is nice, but doesn't have the photos that seem to have been in the original.

Matt Revington

• TIGHAR member
  • member #4155
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »

In the Smithsonian archive there is a link to book/paper by ichythiologist Leonard P. Schultz,
Schultz, Leonard P. (1943) “Fishes of the Phoenix and Samoan Islands collected in 1939 during the expedition of the U.S.S. "Bushnell."
https://siarchives.si.edu/collections/auth_exp_fbr_eace0112
I see that this was mentioned previously on the old forum in 1999.  There is another link to his log, which I find no reference to on the Tighar site, and which might contain things not in the book. "This volume is a field journal in which Leonard P. Schultz documents his participation in a navy surveying expedition on the U.S.S. Bushnell to islands of the South Pacific in 1939."
https://siarchives.si.edu/collections/fbr_item_modsi5773
Since he was an Icthyologist he was probably not hanging out with the survey guys but there might be something of interest in it about the survey.  Might be worth a look.
The whole set of records can be seen using this search:
https://siarchives.si.edu/collections/search?query=%22Navy+Surveying+Expedition+to+the+Phoenix+and+Samoan+Islands%2C+1939.%22&page=1&perpage=10&sort=relevancy&view=list
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 09:50:34 AM by Matt Revington »

Arthur Rypinski

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

to all-
herewith a second piece of 3' x 4' half-inch steel plate with missing rivets.  This piece is located perhaps 100-200' south of the Norwich City wreckage just off the beach/reef border.  I saw other pieces of debris with missing rivets.

adr

Jon Romig

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »

to all-
herewith a second piece of 3' x 4' half-inch steel plate with missing rivets.  This piece is located perhaps 100-200' south of the Norwich City wreckage just off the beach/reef border.  I saw other pieces of debris with missing rivets.

adr

Interesting. This piece appears to be very similar to the wreckage at the North Cape.

If we accept that both pieces have the same source, it is less likely that the source is an unknown wreck, tower or other construction at the North Cape, and much more likely that it is the Norwich City.

Which leaves open the interesting (and likely unanswerable) question of how the piece at the North Cape got to its current  location. I still like the ad-hoc boat anchor theory, although a piece of coral would appear to suit. Did the settlers use canoes or boats outside the lagoon?

Jon
Jon Romig 3562R

Kevin Weeks

• T3
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »

It took a lot of force to warp the metal into its current shape.  Could this piece be from a section of the NC that was twisted when the stern broke off?

Maybe, but it looks too thin to be hull plating.

half inch hull plating was quite heavy at the time. the thickest readily available plating in 1911 was 1" according to the many sources that research the Titanic also built in that year. So much so that things like reinforcements were made from two sheets of 1" plate riveted together instead of thicker material. The 882', 46,000 ton titanic used one inch plate. Given the Norwich City was 397' and 8730 tons it would use significantly thinner hull plating.

I have also read that many manufacturers would use iron rivets in the steel plates still because they had a hard time forming the steel rivets correctly. the outer section of the hull plate should have a countersink to the hole. the outer plating would be formed and attached differently than other structures to maintain strength without sacrificing hydrodynamic efficiency or ease of building.

however these pieces landed where they did, my armchair theory would be it was hull plating torn off during the initial impact with the reef

Bill Mangus

• TIGHAR member
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2017, 07:44:18 AM »

Hey Leon,

I was beginning to wonder the same thing myself.  Summer vacation?

Maybe Ric's latest post on the blog and the latest issue of Tighar Tracks blew everyone away.

Maybe we need a roll call thread.

;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:46:38 AM by Bill Mangus »

Diane James

• T2
  • TIGHAR #4821A
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »

Here, Teacher! ;)
Diane James
TIGHAR #4821A

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »

Maybe we need a roll call thread.

I'm here, but I never contribute to thread drift.   ::)

LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org