Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Australian newspaper articles  (Read 14101 times)

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
Australian newspaper articles
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:19:11 AM »

There's a really nice website that allows for searching historic newspaper articles in Australia for the period 1803-1954, at http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/.  I couldn't resist browsing through those that referenced AE, of course.

I'll list the text of several news stories from 1937-1939 whose contents caught my eye, because they don't ring a bell from my years of browsing the vast contents of the Tighar website.  Nothing in them seems particularly significant -- more amusing (or poignant) than anything else.  To my knowledge, the fellow named Eric Hanner didn't get to claim Putnam's $20,000 reward offer; maybe it's still available for Ric to grab!

Here they are:

The Canberra Times — Thursday, July 1, 1937
MRS. PUTNAM HELD UP
LAE (New Guinea), Wednesday.
Mrs. Amelia Earhart Putnam postponed her departure owing to the absence of weather reports from Howland Island.     
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Canberra Times – Friday, July 2, 1937
MRS. PUTNAM'S FLIGHT
HELD UP
NEW YORK, Thursday.
The United Press announces that Mrs. Amelia Earhart Putnam postponed her departure from Lae, New Guinea, until Friday owing to a broken fuel lead.   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mercury, Hobart, Tasmania – Saturday, July 3, 1937
WHY AVIATRIX WAS
DELAYED
Papers Did Not Comply
With Regulations
DARWIN, July 2.
Officers of the Federal Health Department have admitted that Amelia Earhart, the American aviatrix, and Capt. Noonan, her navigator, had been "grounded" for 10 hours after their arrival at Darwin because her papers did not comply with Australian regulations.

The hitch occurred because of the provision which demands that all visitors to Australia must have vaccination certificates, endorsed by the Government Health Officer of the country of origin. Amelia Earhart's papers had been granted by a leading American doctor. Immediately it was found that her papers were not in order, the airport health officer communicated with Canberra, and received permission to accept her certificate.
The Sydney Morning Herald – Saturday, July 17, 1937
AMELIA EARHART PUTNAM
So she, who was a bird, took a bird's flight
Into the darkness of the plumy night --
Fluttered a little while, then, broken, fell
With helpless wings outspread, where none can tell.

A silver gull that flashed its little space,
Skimming the sea and sky with agile grace --
A vibrant thing of swiftness and delight,
Caught in the sudden snare of endless night.
                                         --Stephanie Dale.
The Mercury, Hobart, Tasmania – Monday, July 26, 1937
Reward For Amelia Earhart
SAN FRANCISCO. July 24.
Mr. Putnam has offered a reward of 20,000 dollars (£4,000) for information definitely clearing up the mystery of the disappearance of his wife, Amelia Earhart. The reward will be payable for the recovery of any of the contents or part of the aeroplane revealing her fate.
The Sydney Morning Herald – Monday, May 15, 1939
KIDNAPPING OF
PUBLISHER.
Mr. G. P. Putnam.

THREAT OVER ANTI-NAZI BOOK.

BAKERSFIELD (Cal.), May 14.
(A.A.P.)
Mr. George Palmer Putnam, publisher, husband of the late Amelia Earhart, was found bound and gagged in a vacant house early yesterday morning.

He told the police he had been kidnapped from his Hollywood home the previous night by two men speaking German.
Mr. Putnam recently announced that he had received a letter threatening him with death unless he desisted from publishing the anti-Nazi book, "The Man Who Killed Hitler."

He told the sheriff that the men knocked him unconscious in his garage, and drove him off in his own automobile.
Mrs. Amelia Earhart Putnam, the well known United States airwoman, was lost in the Pacific during a flight round the world in July, 1937.
The Sydney Morning Herald – Monday, October 16, 1939
SEARCH FOR LOST FLIER.
HONOLULU, Oct. 15. (A.A.P.)_
Eric Hanner will leave tomorrow in the 55ft schooner Valkyrie to search for Amelia Earhart Putnam, who was lost with her navigator Captain Noonan, while flying the Pacific in 1937. Hanner's cruise will take him a year.

LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
Re: Australian newspaper articles
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:09:30 AM »

... I'll list the text of several news stories from 1937-1939 whose contents caught my eye, because they don't ring a bell from my years of browsing the vast contents of the Tighar website.  Nothing in them seems particularly significant -- more amusing (or poignant) than anything else.

Very interesting, indeed.

I don't have time to put them where they belong in the wiki, but I've made a note of this thread for future reference.  The broken gas line and problem with papers in Darwin are news to me (but I haven't read all of the AE literature and I don't remember everything I read, either).
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Bruce Thomas

• Administrator
  • Now where did I put my glasses?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 09:33:49 AM »

Marty, newspaper articles may be frequently error-filled, but aside from that caution, they do provide delicious peripheral detail about a topic.

Using Google News Archive and the name "Eric Hanner" leads to an interesting story in the October 20, 1939 issue of The Berkeley Daily Gazette.  It includes a comment about the Hanner search, noting that Hanner's sailing had been delayed because of diplomatic questions about his and his wife's citizenship and place of registration of the schooner Valkyrie.  The main thrust of the article was about AE's mother's optimism that AE would eventually be found, and that the mother had a globe on which she'd traced AE's route around the world in a line that ended at Phoenix Island, from which "the last radio messages came on July 3, 1937."  And the clincher:  "In her mind she sees Amelia now on a South Pacific Island in good health but marooned."  Mrs. Amy Otis Earhart may warrant a posthumous TIGHAR membership.  :)   

LTM,

Bruce
TIGHAR #3123R

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »

Marty, newspaper articles may be frequently error-filled, but aside from that caution, they do provide delicious peripheral detail about a topic.

We shouldn't assume that all newspaper articles are accurate--nor that all are inaccurate.

In order to evaluate them, we first need to see what claims the articles make.  Then we can see whether there are other sources that will confirm or discredit the newspaper account.

[/quote]
Using Google News Archive and the name "Eric Hanner" leads to an interesting story in the October 20, 1939 issue of The Berkeley Daily Gazette.  It includes a comment about the Hanner search, noting that Hanner's sailing had been delayed because of diplomatic questions about his and his wife's citizenship and place of registration of the schooner Valkyrie.  The main thrust of the article was about AE's mother's optimism that AE would eventually be found, and that the mother had a globe on which she'd traced AE's route around the world in a line that ended at Phoenix Island, from which "the last radio messages came on July 3, 1937."  And the clincher:  "In her mind she sees Amelia now on a South Pacific Island in good health but marooned."  Mrs. Amy Otis Earhart may warrant a posthumous TIGHAR membership.  :)   [/quote]

Ack!  And I just got done impugning Mrs. Earhart's usefulness as a witness to AE's "important government mission"!  If she has come 'round to supporting the Niku Hypothesis, I guess she's got to be rehabilitated.  TIGHAR can use all the support it can get!
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org