Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Niku VIII Funding  (Read 209546 times)

Todd Attebery

• T1
Re: Niku VIII Funding
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »

I think I may have suggested something along these lines a few months back... if the $50,000 slots haven't been taken, you might consider a specific fundraiser for a "member at large" of less financial means.  I.e. forum and facebook followers nominate people for $50 (and get "your name in lights") and anyone can vote for nominees at $5/vote.   

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »

Have all of the $50,000 slots been taken?

We have one berth remaining and we need to fill it with a physician.  We do not yet have a Team Physician and it's a really good idea to have a doctor on board.  We have a couple of prospects who are doctors AND would make a significant contribution.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2015, 07:40:33 AM »

I know it's a hassle, but I think a daily donations tally might help keep enthusiasm running high.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR no. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

Martin X. Moleski, SJ

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2015, 08:48:08 AM »

I know it's a hassle, but I think a daily donations tally might help keep enthusiasm running high.

Or it might draw unsolicited advice and disparaging remarks.

Let's look at it this way: I'll bet that if you want to be the "closer" who puts TIGHAR over the top at the end, Ric and Pat will send you a hand-crafted update every day.

If there's no money to match your enthusiasm, I'll bet they'd rather put their energy into other aspects of fundraising.
LTM,

Marty
           TIGHAR #2359A

JNev

• T5
  • It's a GOOD thing to be in the cornfield...
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »

Gee Marty, I feel so inspired by how you replied to Monty, who is not only a nice guy but a generous donor, that I will pledge the last two cents to go over the top.  Consider this post my two cents worth paid in advance.  When do the dailies start?  ;D
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Jerry Germann

• TIGHAR member
  • Go Deep
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »

TIGHAR

April 15 at 3:16pm ยท

TALLY FOR APRIL 14
 Four donations totaling $325. Good news, bad news. The bad news is airfares for the team are going to be almost twice as expensive as originally anticipated. The good news is the cost of equipping the expedition with a good ROV may be much less than we thought.

Concerning the ROV, .....Would the model used, be equipped with a laser device to determine the scale of any interesting objects? Hopefully , the reduced cost of the ROV, will offset the plane fare increase.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »

TIGHAR

Concerning the ROV, .....Would the model used, be equipped with a laser device to determine the scale of any interesting objects? Hopefully , the reduced cost of the ROV, will offset the plane fare increase.

Jerry - I'm not part of the ROV selection team, but I think the answer is yes as that is certainly a lesson learned the hard way in 2010.  I'll know more after the team meeting at the end of the month, and I'm sure that at some point Ric will discuss the technology chosen and its capabilities.

Andrew

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2015, 03:49:56 PM »

Do they have enough yet to send Andrew with a giant eyeball from Google and a small ATV with puncture proof tires??
Bob S.

Andrew M McKenna

• Administrator
  • Here I am during the Maid of Harlech Survey.
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »

Yup, here I am mapping the Gallagher Highway! (not really)

Would be cool though, huh?

Andrew

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »

It would be fantastic! Maybe worth leaving one ROV behind. Probably a lot of clearing though, eh?
Bob S.

Monty Fowler

• T5
  • "The real answer is always the right answer."
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2015, 07:17:46 AM »

It would be fantastic! Maybe worth leaving one ROV behind. Probably a lot of clearing though, eh?

Ummm, Bob, the ROVs are for the underwater phase of the search. There's still time to donate to that critical part of Niku VIII, but I rather doubt the ROV operators will want to leave behind one of their very expensive gidgets.

LTM,
Monty Fowler, TIGHAR No. 2189 ECSP
Ex-TIGHAR member No. 2189 E C R SP, 1998-2016

JNev

• T5
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2015, 09:03:07 AM »

My first reaction was like yours, Monty.  However, I suspect Bob Smith meant leaving an ROV behind at the outset, as in not taking it along in the first place - but he of course may clarify otherwise.

It seems unlikely to me that TIGHAR would consider compromising this already lean effort that is planned to examine the seafloor by doing such a thing - is not the study of the 'anomaly' a mission priority?

The Gallagher Highway, etc. seems a relative folly to me - and in fact, the land search generally just seems to pale.  This because my belief is that if Earhart did somehow make it to Niku (unproven in my view, and I have to admit some other possibilities do exist, IMHO), the only way to know that in real terms is to finally exhaust the sub-sea search. 

In fact, after nearly eight decades, I have very serious doubts about the survial of any potential land-based artifacts that might now turn up to qualify a location such as 'camp zero'.  There have been too many decades of human habitation other than and since a possible Earhart presence, and storms and overwash in the years since, as I understand those elements to have come and gone.  But maybe the magic bottle with a note lies in the brush somewhere yet.  Forgive me, I simply doubt it severely now, as opposed to how I once felt about all this... and confess, when I reimmerse in all this lately, my head often feels like that of the critter in your avatar... LOL!!!

Just two cents worth, sincerely.
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:04:48 AM by Jeffrey Neville »

Bob Smith

• T3
  • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2015, 12:43:11 PM »

Yes, Jeff I meant as in not taking an ROV to the island, NOT in leaving one behind there! But I was under the impression there was  more than one ROV, probably wrong, again. I believe the ROV is essential to the hunt and probably sufficient to provide visual contact with the anomoly, but then what? Wouldn't there be a need for more rigorous attention like up close and personal inspection
with at least a stiff wire brush?? And due to the law of gravity wouldn't there tend to be more at 10000 ft than at 700 or 200 ft? A deep sea  vehicle would undoubtably be more complicated and expensive to operate, but perhaps directly proportional to the results!
The big "eyeball" idea is of course more of a gimmick and attention getter (more interest--more funds) but I think it deserves more serious consideration for now OR later. If I had to chose between a small ROV, larger deeper-capable vehicle, and an eyeball, I think I would choose the second type more expensive machinery. Unreasonable, maybe, but one of these days we need to get serious if we really believe there is something to look for.
Bob S.

Ric Gillespie

• Executive Director
  • Administrator
  • "Do not try. Do or do not. There is no try" Yoda
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »

one of these days we need to get serious if we really believe there is something to look for.

Yes, one of these days we need to get serious.  ( I don't know whether to laugh or cry.)

JNev

• T5
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »

Dang, Bob, you don't seriously believe Ric's not into this thing?  Who could miss that he's lived and breathed it for nearly 30 years!?!
- Jeff Neville

Former Member 3074R

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up

Copyright 2024 by TIGHAR, a non-profit foundation. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be reproduced by xerographic, photographic, digital or any other means for any purpose. No portion of the TIGHAR Website may be stored in a retrieval system, copied, transmitted or transferred in any form or by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, digital, photographic, magnetic or otherwise, for any purpose without the express, written permission of TIGHAR. All rights reserved.

Contact us at: info@tighar.org • Phone: 610-467-1937 • Membership formwebmaster@tighar.org